1929 Chrysler 65 steering

Hi all 

I’m just wondering what others thoughts are on what is a acceptable amount of free play in the steering. mine currently has about a inch at the outer edge of the steering wheel. Most of these movement appears to be in the steering box, I’m afraid to adjust anything as it feels good on the road/ not wandering, no shakes or wobbles. Anyway would appreciate others thoughts, thanks Ben

Ben,

Are you running radials or bias ply tyres ( a little down under lingo) ?

I too have about an inch or so at the wheel in my '31 but I am fitted with 40 year old Denman 6 ply bias tyres.

I've not had the old girl up on blocks yet to do the brakes, wheel bearings, and tighten up the steering joints, but if I were you, I would chase the looseness from the wheels back to the steering box, not from the box out.

That's the way I was taught at the Morris garage I apprenticed at, in the '60's

Mike in Colorado

Thanks Mike 

I’m running bias ply tyres, I have checked everything from the wheels back to the steering box and it all looked good, so the movement appears that it is in the steering box but I will double check. Thanks again for a few tips

The Gemmer box (is that what you have?) is easy to adjust. It is covered in your Owner's Instruction Book. There are three adjustments. The hardest part is to find a spanner to work the big nut on the top of the box that positions the top bearing. I am pretty sure it has been posted in these fora not long ago.

You say most of the movement is in the box. Replace the bits elsewhere that are allowing movement. In my case, it was the drag link ends. Much better now.

My Dodge Brothers 8 has about 3/4 to 1" of slack steering wheel turn and I have had the sector arm in the box rebushed (some of the movement may be wear in the bush at the drop arm = Pitman arm = steering arm end of the sector arm). The movement is due to wear in the steering box worm and sector, probably contributed to by people putting chassis grease in it.

Remember to use only semi-fluid grease, NLGI 00.

Edited by Spinneyhill (see edit history)

Ben,

Don't overlook the "kingpin" bushings, (where the wheel spindle is attached to the axle).

Mine are a bit loose 'cause when the wheels are off the floor, I can move the top in and out just a bit.

They are up for replacement this winter, when we do the brakes.

Mike in Colorado

Thanks Guys for all the tips and thanks for reminding me to look at the manual I should have ran this problem past my wife as she would have reminded me to read the instructions ? there was a little movement in the drag link I adjusted this and the adjusted the steering box and I have reduced the free play down to maybe 1/2 inch with no binding or anything and it feels good so I think I will settle for that. Thanks again Ben