Fuel pump push rod question

detroitsoul

I had to buy a new fuel pump push rod a couple of weeks ago because the old one broke when we removed it from the engine originally.  The whole engine had to be broken down because of a bad intake manifold.  We are in the process of reassembling the engine.  When we put the new push rod in, it did not seem to fit quite right.  Upon further examination, the longer part of the shaft has a very slight bend below (or above?) the flare.   My question:  is this intentional?

I would appreciate any help on this.  This has been over a two year process and we are getting closer to firing up this V12.  Thank you.

Edited by detroitsoul
Grammar, punctuation (see edit history)

The sleeve is true.  I sent the part back but my supplier only has a Ford part available that is slightly shorter.  He says with a slight modification of the flare that it should work.  Anyone else try this?  We had to do a complete teardown because of lack of compression.  Its looking like the intake manifold failed maybe from sitting so long (20 or more years at least). Everything else is slowly coming together.  I'd hate for this to be the sticking point after so long.  Regards,

Sean

On 8/8/2018 at 1:11 PM, detroitsoul said:

The sleeve is true.  I sent the part back but my supplier only has a Ford part available that is slightly shorter.  He says with a slight modification of the flare that it should work.  Anyone else try this?  We had to do a complete teardown because of lack of compression.  Its looking like the intake manifold failed maybe from sitting so long (20 or more years at least). Everything else is slowly coming together.  I'd hate for this to be the sticking point after so long.  Regards,

Sean

I've found Ford substitutions to be problematic with vendors who think their Ford parts will work on Lincolns.  There are interchangeable parts, but not many.  With so few real original parts still available from any source one has to be careful what they order and try to make work.  Like all other vehicles there were a lot of after market manufacturers back in the old days that made parts to fit Lincolns, some worked and some didn't.  It's strictly 'Buyer beware' when it comes to correct parts.   Ebay is a big offender too allowing the posting..."Fits a 19__ Lincoln"!   

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I knew somewhere  in the 50 years of back issues of "The Way of the Zephyr" , I saw at least 1 article  on the subject of HV12  fuel pump

push rods.  The V12 push rod  is VERY DIFFERENT from the Ford rods . And now if I scanned correctly here is the article  taken from

"THE WAY OF THE ZEPHYR" , March/April 2014/  Vol.47 #2 . Bear with me if size is offimg08192018_011.thumb.jpg.bccdd4baf71f102dc14acf49ade74642.jpgimg08192018_013.thumb.jpg.e54f2018744eeece7af1d2368f3631e3.jpg

• Like 1