pin removal suggestions

tcslr

Trying to remove the pin from the master cylinder push rod on the brake to remove clutch. I have been soaking the pin with several penetrating oils and it will not budge.  As you can see, I've tried to use vice grips to rotate it with vey little luck.  I'm hesitant about heat as the master cylinder ( and boot)  is connected.

Any suggestions?

(29 Chrysler)

IMG_1765.JPG

I would suggest you try a 50/50 mix of acetone and automatic transmission fluid. That is the best solvent that I have used. Apply it liberally and then allow it to soak overnight and try removing it.  

Assuming you have an O/A torch, and assuming the acetone/ ATF doesn't work, have an assistant press the pedal while you watch the clevis to see if the pin is frozen in the yoke or in the rod. Heat the frozen area while you or your assistant blow a stream of air from your air gun on the threads. That should keep the pin cool enough to prevent damage. Steel is a relatively poor conductor of heat. You may have to go to dull red heat.

Failing that the pin may have to be drilled enough to allow it to collapse. That may involve some disassembly.

Ain't old cars a hoot?..........Bob

• Like 1

Thanks, guys!  I got it out!  but it was really tight- almost an interference fit feel. combo the oil, working it, drift pin and sweat.

This is the first time it is out in 89 years though.

Unfortunately, I buggered the head.  I try to keep her original.  It was because the clutch that I was unable to go to Gettysburg.