Steering wheel feels Tacky

Robert G. Smits

73 Buick Centurion conv with 66K miles.  Last driven in 2005.  Steering wheel feels very tacky.  Is there a solution other than using a cover?  Also is there any downside to removing the emissions air pump?  I checked with my inspection people and they could care less on cars over 25 years old.  Thanks, Bob Smits

Volatiles in the GM plastics will outgas, causing the sticky/tacky feel.  People have tried every possible cleaner for this. By far the most effective is the wax and grease remover solvents used just prior to painting a car.  This solvent will not damage the plastic.  Brand names for this product are Prep-Sol and Prep-All.  Eastwood sells a product called PRE that apparently is the same thing, but I have not tried that product. There are other equivalent brand names. You can find these at an auto paint supply store.  Do NOT get the newer water-based materials - only the older solvent-based ones.  Goo-Gone is an equivalent product sold in smaller containers at a higher unit price.

prep-all.jpg

Edited by joe_padavano (see edit history)

Most hardware stores carry Goo Gone.  It cal be purchased in small bottles up to pint size.  Goo Gone is also used by model railroad hobbyists to clean their tracks.  Has a nice orange smell too.