Lost Key

I had a similar problem with a 1949 Chrysler. The easiest thing was to take out a door lock and take it to a locksmith. If you open the door and look at the back edge you should see a tab beside the door lock. This is the end of a keeper that holds the lock in place. Pry it out and the lock comes out.

The real challenge is to find a locksmith who can key a lock, even a simple 5 pin Yale lock.

One key does the door and ignition, the other does the trunk and glove compartment. The glove compartment lock is easier to get at.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

10 hours ago, jyinger said:

Any trick to getting the IGN switch out?

There is a cap and a hole directly beneath the IGN SW. Up in the hole is a phillips screw.. remove it. Then the rest is to remove the wires from the back of the switch.

Remove the firewall grommet , armored coil wire lead @ the relay or coil and remove the switch and armored cable assembly from inside the car.

The door lock removal is easier as long as the key fits both the door lock and IGN SW.

Thanks Bob.  I copied down your info for the next time I need to make a key.

Fortunately, I found my one key.  And, since I had just ordered a couple of blanks, I took it to Home Depot to make a copy.  No luck.  Their fancy-smancy electronic super machine couldn't do it.  So, next I took it to WalMart.  They also have the fancy-smancy machine, but they also have the simple old system in the auto parts section of the store.  Click, click----new key.  Easy-peasy.  And free, since I supplied the blank.

Thanks again for your response!

Jon