Question For Trimacar

I am having the upholstery done in my '38 Plymouth coupe and I noticed this rubber bead that runs around the top of the bucket that holds the lower seat cushion in place has gotten pretty hard and brittle.

A little bit has actually chipped away on the lower edge. It appears to fit into a groove that surrounds the entire piece. I'd like to replace it before the fabric is installed. Is this rubber edge available?

Regards, Greg

20180614_161944.jpg

20180614_162006.jpg

I'm not familiar with this rubber strip.  Get a cross section and try Restoration Specialties, perhaps, they have quite a bit of rubber goods, or possibly Steele Rubber.....sorry I can't be of more help David C.

Provide a close up pic of the piece you remove, in essence the cross section, preferably with dimensions. You may be able to use a generic extruded rubber strip from Restoration Specialties, Steele Rubber or Metro Rubber.  This is an example of where Karr Rubber may have had your extruded profile, but they are no longer in business.  Don't forget to check the hot rod section of any of those companies.

Thanks guys.

The seat has the twisted tack strip along the bottom edge. This rubber strip runs along the top edge and has upholstery applied directly over it. I assume this could be a wear area when entering/exiting the car so they installed the soft rubber edge.

I forgot about Metro, good tip!  On square corners, I've used half round or half oval rubber under material to smooth the transition.  You can google or eBay those terms, depending on how wide it needs to be.   I might have answered that way first but I wasn't 100% sure what I was looking at!

I am reluctant to remove this one until I find a suitable replacement.

I will take some measurements and contact Metro.

Thanks for the lead.