1989 Buick Reatta Power Antenna Replacement - Wiring Help

GrizzlyGerm

Hello everyone, I am having a few issues with a 1989 Buick Reatta. Would anyone be able to confirm the color matching for this antenna replacement. The new one is on the left, old on the right. Would the wires just be Black-White, Red-Green, Gray-Blue. Also the new one extended out but will not retract, is it trash now?

1989 Buick Reatta Antenna .jpg

It looks like your replacement has a red and a blue, one for up and one for down, and a black ground.  Everythin woukd need to be tied to an external switch. The factory has additional wires for up and down that activate when the radio is turned on/off AND when the ignition is turned on/off.

Scroll down to the Reatta forum and contact Barney Eaton about repairing your original.  Then it would be original and plug and play.

6 minutes ago, GrizzlyGerm said:

Thank You.
Could I connect the three wires on the new one to the old relay or would I connect it straight to the wiring harness. I am calling the black box attached to the mast a relay.

No. The relay on the stock antenna should be internal on your 3rd party replacement. 

I am sure you are aware,  neither of the antenna you have are the original Delco.

Below is the factory wiring.   You must use the relay or you will need a switch under the dash to raise and lower the antenna.

(1) 12v goes to the relay on pin #4

(2) the center pin #5 is ground

(3) Pin #6 gets power when the radio is turned on....that picks the relay and 12v goes to the antenna motor on pin #1 & #2

antenna relay.jpg

• Like 1