A/C question

Phils38cpe

I'm new to Reattas but old to Packards and Fieros.

I have a 90 convertible and although I really don't need the A/C but it drives me nuts that it doesn't work. I think I know the answer but I would like some other opinions.  Engine off the static pressure is about 85 PSI. If I put the temp select on 60 the compressor clutch engages and the low side goes to 70 psi and the high goes to 125. The temp drop across the orifice tube is only about 20 deg .

Any thoughts?

15 minutes ago, harry yarnell said:

70# is WAY too high and 125 is WAY too low. Sounds like a bad compressor.

That was my thinking- think I may have a winter project - really don't need A/C in a convertible so it can wait.

13 minutes ago, harry yarnell said:

70# is WAY too high and 125 is WAY too low. Sounds like a bad compressor.

This. Not sure that indicates compressor is bad, but those are out of range readings. I would evacuate system and start over with recharge.

18 hours ago, Phils38cpe said:

Yep converted to 134  but would an overcharge stop the compressor from working and not show an error code?

From what I get from your post the compressor has not stopped working as you said the clutch engages and stays engaged so the pistons in the compressor are still moving.  The only way I could see it not working would be if the crankshaft in the compressor was broken and you should hear and feel that by turning the compressor by hand. To much Freon in the system floods the system and restricts the flow to the high side by backing up in the low side. You should replace the accumulator because the desiccant bag is more then likely saturated. Another cause is having to much oil in the system. The whole system should hold 6 oz's of oil.    

5 hours ago, retiredmechanic74 said:

The only way I could see it not working would be if the crankshaft in the compressor was broken and you should hear and feel that by turning the compressor by hand.

There is at least one other way the compressor can fail.  If the valves in the compressor are bad the compressor can run without making any noise or without you feeling roughness. I'm by no means an expert on AC systems but I had the reed valves fail in the compressor on a Ford Taurus and the symptoms were as described above.

I wouldn't rule out too much Freon charge either. It's a simple thing to check before replacing the compressor or other expensive parts..

Reed valves on the Fridgedair GM compressors are pretty trouble-free, BUT the Teflon piston rings are NOT. . They crack and break free of the pistons and spread debris throughout the A/C system. Pistons now are just running in their bores, making little pressure.