camshaft posision sensor

skidd1000

Hello. I am getting a code 41 on my 91 reatta. Before I remove the sensor and look for the bad magnet I checked voltage at the plug.(sensor unplugged). I am getting 6.6 volts at pin a and 11.0 volts at pin c. Pin b is ground. Is this normal? I thought pin c is the signal and should read 0 when the sensor is not plugged in and key on and engine off. Thanks in advance.

Sorry. I am also getting a code 34. Depending what web site you look at some say maf sensor and others say map sensor. Any help here would also be much help. There are a few body codes but I will tackle them once this is running good. Thanks.

Yes. that is correct. The car starts and runs great until it warms up, then it stalls at stop signs and the other day it nearly left me stranded, no power, black smoke out the exhaust smelled very rich.Let it sit for a few minutes and it ran well enough to get me home. 2 miles.

12 minutes ago, skidd1000 said:

Yes. that is correct. The car starts and runs great until it warms up, then it stalls at stop signs and the other day it nearly left me stranded, no power, black smoke out the exhaust smelled very rich.Let it sit for a few minutes and it ran well enough to get me home. 2 miles.

The MAF sensor can cause the problem you describe. I've never heard of the camshaft position sensor doing that.

Unplugging the MAF is a good test. If the the problem gets better when you unplug it you have probably found the cause of the problem.

Another thing that can cause the problem you describe is the O2 sensor but since you have a code 34 (MAF sensor) the MAF is probably the problem.

The cam sensor really doesn't cause driveability issues. The cam sensor gives constant updates to the ECM to help the car run at its best. If the cam sensor wasn't there the ECM defaults to a factory setting and still allows the car to be driveable. I had an issue last summer on the Red [before I had the engine rebuilt] when I got the e041 warning. My cam magnet was real bad, but I believe 3 points were still present. I swapped in a new cam sensor and the e041 light went out. I knew I was redoing the engine and couldn't see swapping in a new magnet so tried just the sensor.

Ronnie has given you good advice regarding the MAF sensor and the O2 sensor. You have a '91 so you have the improved coils and ignition Control Module, but they act up as well and may need replacement.

Please add the year of your car to your signature line as it helps us help you. The Reatta is actually two cars 1988/89 and 1990/91 but even then the 90 has some things from the '89 and the 91 is almost a car by itself.   

Thanks, Ronnie. I have removed the MAF and cleaned it with the special MAF cleaner but I will look deeper into it being bad, but that still does not explain the code 41(cam sensor). Is the 11 volts on terminal c normal with the connector unplugged?

Thanks, Daves89. I'm new to this forum stuff. I will look into adding the year of my car to the signature line. I really do appreciate the help this forum has given me to get this beautiful Reatta back on the road.

3 minutes ago, DAVES89 said:

You have a '91

I didn't notice that. I think what I said earlier would still apply although I'm not familiar with the '91. Sorry, I can't answer the question about the correct voltage going to the cam sensor.

I too have noticed that the '91 is a strange beast. I may as well wipe my butt with the pages of the service manual that I ordered for a '91. Nothing matches my car. It still shows the accumulator brake system and not the vacuum booster system that is on my '91, also the wiring diagrams are not even close. The fog light system is different, ect. ect.  With your help I will get this car running well. 

Are you sure you got a 91 service manual? It has a red cover. 90 FSM had a dark blue cover. 89 had a grey cover, with illustrations of both the Reatta and Riviera on it in white line art,  and 88 was dark blue with the same illustrations (90 and 91 had no pictures of the cars on the cover). I've noted a few errors, myself, but nothing as glaring as what you are reporting. I don't think there was an early ("new product information") and a seperate final edition for 91 as with some previous years of the FSM. 

24 minutes ago, skidd1000 said:

Thanks guys. I did replace the maf sensor and the car runs much better and the code 34 is gone. I still have the 41 code and will be looking into the cam sensor/magnet next.

Great! Thanks for letting us know.