HOT indicator temp? Does anyone know?

Rob Mangieri

Quick question. Does anyone know at what temp the HOT side of the temp switch will ground and illuminate the HOT lamp on the dash? 

Cold Illuminates below 110 F.

Im curious as to how hot this engine will get before that warning lights up. I plan to test with a gauge later this week but just curious. I am not a fan of any engine running over 220 especially on 93 octane with iron heads and a documented/tested 9.25:1 static compression on a sleeved .040 over 425 in Austin TX. Summer is coming....getting ready.

Everything is new engine has about 2200 miles on it runs great but after any prolonged idle it loads up and stalls.

It doesnt matter what I do with timing or fueling. I think it’s just the crap we call fuel today boiling up in the bowls. 

A

3 hours ago, Rob Mangieri said:

Quick question. Does anyone know at what temp the HOT side of the temp switch will ground and illuminate the HOT lamp on the dash? 

Cold Illuminates below 110 F.

Im curious as to how hot this engine will get before that warning lights up. I plan to test with a gauge later this week but just curious. I am not a fan of any engine running over 220 especially on 93 octane with iron heads and a documented/tested 9.25:1 static compression on a sleeved .040 over 425 in Austin TX. Summer is coming....getting ready.

Everything is new engine has about 2200 miles on it runs great but after any prolonged idle it loads up and stalls.

It doesnt matter what I do with timing or fueling. I think it’s just the crap we call fuel today boiling up in the bowls. 

Hot goes on at ~248F according to p10-63 in the 1963 Buick Chassis Service manual.

Depending on the sending unit & where it came from & who it was originally produced by they will usually come on somewherea's aound 230* or so, but there all DIFFERENT. The one I bought MANY yrs. ago comes on at 218*, but I also have an ACCURATE mechanical oil pressure & temp gauges & KNOW what my temp is WITHOUT WATCHING/DEPENDING on a light. Usually when the light comes on it's already too late

Just my thoughts.

• Like 1

I agree completely regarding the gauge vs light. I’m planning a full array of gauges but was curious what the factory thought was “hot”. My gauge plan is for 

Oil temp

Oil pressure

Voltage

Water temp 

Boost/manifold pressure 

Air Fuel Ratio 

I’m still working out my design as I want them to appear as factory as possible. I built an Autometer tach into a clock bezel that I machined. I’m repainting the inside of the bezel to get the lighting to match instead of being “blue” as seen in the phone. 

AFA2BAB6-7887-47DB-81A1-30A1E2D16D78.jpeg

5B2A1F88-2538-4191-B92F-B58C831D0004.jpeg

I found that the Stewart Warner green line closely matched the font and style of the factory gages.  I also used aluminum angled gage pods to try and match the angle of the factory panel.  I like how bright your gages look.  I have the stock look but mine are brighter because I used 194 bulbs in place of the stock ones.

1952D274-D6AB-410B-80B1-D5FE6022CC44.jpeg

56FC9104-13DC-4787-B0F6-3FCFA5AA7223.jpeg

82E5D0AE-5E3D-4F1D-9D6E-860B8D429CD7.jpeg

BC745807-9662-4D78-B9EA-5E6130243305.jpeg

Edited by rapom
Add more content. (see edit history)
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Rob Mangieri said:

I agree completely regarding the gauge vs light. I’m planning a full array of gauges but was curious what the factory thought was “hot”. My gauge plan is for 

Oil temp

Oil pressure

Voltage

Water temp 

Boost/manifold pressure 

Air Fuel Ratio 

I’m still working out my design as I want them to appear as factory as possible. I built an Autometer tach into a clock bezel that I machined. I’m repainting the inside of the bezel to get the lighting to match instead of being “blue” as seen in the phone. 

AFA2BAB6-7887-47DB-81A1-30A1E2D16D78.jpeg

5B2A1F88-2538-4191-B92F-B58C831D0004.jpeg

How did you get your Guages to light up so bright? LEDs?

Yes I’m using Sylvania 6000K white LEDs. I also replaced/rebuilt my headlamp switch and panel dimmer control. The tach will be better matched once I repaint the inside of its “cup” with a lighter shade of blue that matches the factory cluster internals. 

The shade I used was far too dark of a blue.  

AAF6ADFF-6136-4DC4-B602-5CFFB9ACBE11.jpeg