Starting with a Zenith updraft carburetor

WPVT

I have a Zenith updraft carburetor on a 1929 White truck 6 cylinder engine.  When starting, I retard the spark, increase the throttle, and close the choke. The engine turns over and starts the instant I open the choke. If I try starting with the choke closed, or with the choke open, it won't start, only when I go from closed to open while it is turning over.

That doesn't seem quite right. I couldn't, for instance, start the truck with a hand crank unless there was someone in the cab. I'm happy that the truck starts, I'm just skeptical that this is the way it should be started. It runs just fine, by the way. 

Same procedure with my 1930 Pierce and a friend's 1931 Studebaker President ,for COLD starts only.  Both are equipped with Stromberg UUR-2 carbs. It didn't "seem right" to me either, and is a more convoluted process than used on my other updraft-equipped cars but I couldn't find a way equally effective even after checking everything.  So I live with it.

Model A Fords use a Zenith updraft, and the behavior you describe is exactly how the original  Owner's Manual instructs how to start a cold engine.  Just a momentary choke is needed.     The  dash mounted choke rod on the Model A Zenith also turns in and out to regulate the gasoline mixture.  Open it up some to enrichen the mixture while it's cold, close it up some as it warms.