Timing 1941 120

mcdarrunt

Have a 1941 120 that the distributor mounts solid to the block with no clamp to loosen. The point mount plate moves like ones on flat head Fords but not enough as it still is retarded. Entire engine rebuilt with new everything so chain and gears are brand new. Starts instantly and runs very smooth but is "lazy". Valve timing dead on and TDC mark is right on. Seems to need several more degrees of initial advance. Any suggestions? Was the solid mount distributor a common item on these engines?  Thank you.

Had the same problem with my '41 160. I moved all  the wires around one tower,  and then retarded the distributor.  Try it, it worked for me.  John

Thanks, will try moving wires. The mount ears are cast onto the distributor body and have TWO hold down bolts 180* across from each other. Maybe some replacement distributor from many years ago but both drilled and tapped holes in the block look factory. I can slot the holes and gain a bit of adjustment but probably not a lot. Thanks again for giving thought to my problem.

^

Never ever head of a distributor mount that did not allow for any adjustment.  Please, take another look, or remove the distributor and examine.  Are you absolutely certain that the two ears you see are not part of a mounting plate like this?  This is from a somewhat earlier Packard but is typical of what was used right up thru 1954.  If there was insufficient adjustment in the slotted holes, then you loosened the cross-bolt and readjusted the position of the distributor within the clamp.  

Distributor hold down .jpg

• 2 months later...