Check that spare tire!

AZVET

I decided to check the air in all 5 of my tires yesterday.  The spare tire looked like it had never been on the ground.  When I pushed on the sidewall it looked to be fully inflated.  Not so!  The sidewall says "Inflate to 60 psi".  My tire gauge said it was holding 10 psi!  I also took the time to lightly grease the jack and run it up and down a couple of times.

While on the subject..........if you do need to put the spare on the car......drive slowly, remember that tire is 25+ years old.

You could pick up a newer one just to be safe..... one from a 2008 LeSabre is only 10 years old.   I think I paid less than $10 one at a pick n pull

Very good advice. I check mine once or twice a year, or if I'm planning a long trip, but imagine most people never do until they get caught without a usable spare. I just wish there was a source for new limited service tires. I have 3 or 4 that have apparently never been run, but they are still 30 years old, give or take.

Along the same lines... another good thing to do is inspect your tires often by digging around in the tread to find any nails or glass that might be embedded in the rubber. I have found a lot of "potential flats" in the garage and fixed them that might have otherwise left me stranded with a flat on the side of the road.