1936 Dodge Hood Issues

36 Dodge

I have a question about the hood. When I open my hood it shifts to the other side, it comes of the clips. Is it only the stainless trim that holds onto those clips? I attached a few pics to show what probably might be the problem, damaged trim ends. I also noticed that one half of the hood is not aligned with the trim, is this normal? Please help me with your knowledge so I can correct this.

Thanks, 

Marco 

20170821_151930.jpg

Hinge Rear.jpg

Hode Front.jpg

Hood Rear.jpg

Your hinge is pretty mangled at the one end if not both which will cause the hood not to fit into the retainers properly. It also appears that somebody tried a half-assed repair when they reriveted the hinge to the hood Don't ask me why these so called car guys can't use the correct parts when putting their cars back together. The hinges should be riveted with small tube type rivets which fit very close to the hinge. They are available but do need a special tool to seat them. The hinge edge is not perpendicular to the top which pulls the hinge out of position. You may have to look for another hinge if that one can't be straightened.

8 minutes ago, jpage said:

Your hinge is pretty mangled at the one end if not both which will cause the hood not to fit into the retainers properly. It also appears that somebody tried a half-assed repair when they reriveted the hinge to the hood Don't ask me why these so called car guys can't use the correct parts when putting their cars back together. The hinges should be riveted with small tube type rivets which fit very close to the hinge. They are available but do need a special tool to seat them. The hinge edge is not perpendicular to the top which pulls the hinge out of position. You may have to look for another hinge if that one can't be straightened.

Thank you Mr. Page! I guess I will be hunting for a hinge! I have never seen one for sale so I guess I'm going to have a difficult time finding one.

Regards, 

Marco 

You may only need the top section as the other part might be able to be repaired. I used to have an extra hinge  but don't know what shape it's in anymore. You might put a want ad on this forum  or check with Dodge City, he might have a good one. Restoration Specialties in PA has the correct rivets and a setting tool can easily be made by a good machinist. Unfortunately, some of the holes in the hood may have been enlarged to fit those pop rivets.