DIY Leather Steering Wheel Cover

89RedDarkGrey

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 9:15 PM, 89RedDarkGrey said:

Why go through all the hassle of steering wheel removal, shipping, and turn around time- with a huge cost ($300-$400) or take a chance on a used wheel to be "better"?

Check this out

Great link. Price is reasonable too. Yes you can do it without removing the wheel, but it's so much easier to do when you take it out of the car.

• Thanks 1

Sewing the wheel in the car is kind of like fixing a busted stirrup with the saddle still on the horse, sure you can pull harder, but the angle you have to work at makes the job harder to do. Get all the leverage you need and a better looking stronger stitch when you sew with two needles and pull tight with both hands.  

If you have a vice at good working height and you snug the wheel so it doesn't spin free, a bolt through the center might be better than sitting in a chair with the wheel between your legs. Hand sewing a straight seam with a good looking stitch takes a bit of time and I prefer sitting comfortably.

• Like 1

GENERIC INSTRUCTIONS: THIS PROCEDURE COULD RESULT IN BODILY INJURY OR DEATH. PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Disconnect the battery, WAIT 1 HOUR MINIMUM. Remove horn button cover. Remove turn signal cancelling mechanism. Use the appropriate puller (rent from FLAPS for FREE) https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/powerbuilt-tools-heavy-duty-steering-wheel-puller-648645/9150019-P?searchTerm=9150018+OR+9150008+OR+10002087+OR+9150019+OR+9150003+OR+9150040&showTitle=no

Pull wheel slowly, being careful of wiring. SRS wiring is usually YELLOW AND LABELED DANGER.

Your FSM has detailed instructions. There are Members here who have done this before on a Reatta- I have not.

Disconnect the battery [I never have but it is the correct thing to do]. There are 4 torx screws [#25 or 30?] through the back of the wheel holding on the horn pad . You do not have to remove the screws all the way, just far enough out until that corner of the horn pad is "loose". Then once the pad is loose, pull towards you carefully and unplug the air bag. There is a locking tab that needs to be pulled out then pry up on the clip and pull connection apart. Follow the horn button wires to where they join together, hen follow that to the grounding horn spring. Turn that counter clock wise and it should "pop" out. Horn pad should now come off. 

Then remove horse shoe clip and put a socket on the nut [13/16"?] and turn the nut off. Use a steering wheel puller rented from your local parts house and pull the wheel. [I have on occasion used my left arm under the wheel pulling upward and a hammer and whacked the column where the nut was. [Leave the nut on to give you a bigger striking surface]. Sometimes it will pop right off and of couse when it hits the bottom of the nut and stop. 

There is no signal canceling mechanism or anything else to remove. 

• Like 1