1935 Dictator steering peg replacement

I am helping a friend. His 1935 Dictator has a badly worn steering box, which is a Ross peg and worm (single peg). The car is RHD.

The steering shaft bushes will be replaced, of course.

How can we repair the worn peg? It is integral with the casting of the shaft.

Can we install a replacement peg?

I have seen replacement pegs in one or two places on the www, esp. tractor parts suppliers. The basic replacement peg is a cylindrical pin with a shoulder and the tapered peg on one end.

SteeringPin.thumb.jpg.90dd694727344f0dabf73c1106788235.jpg

More "advanced" replacement pegs have bearings on the pin shaft - I don't think we could use those because the web of the casting is not big enough.

Google "Tight-Steer" (product) and the results include a You-Tube video.  Comes in two thread sizes.  This compensates but doesn't really repair.  Worked well on my '49 Willys Jeepster. MAY work on Stude, does work on 34-35 Pierce.  Mid-30s Ross boxes  are VERY expensive to rebuild.

Most of the Ross pegs are pressed into a hole in the cam lever shaft, then welded on the back side.  The peg wears where it contacts the worm.  You can usually grind off the weld, press the pin out, turn it 90 degrees, and weld it back in place.  Good for another 25 years!

The cam lever shaft for 1A and 2A Dictators from 1935 is p/n 185554, used on both LHC and RHC cars.  The same shaft is used on 1936 and 1937 RHC Dictators, so if you really need another shaft, you might have a chance from another car. 

• Like 1

HI Garry

I had the same problem with my FH President years ago.

I had the peg built up by a company in Sydney, called Flame Coatings

Phone No. (02) 9557 43793, as it was 15 or 20 years ago, they may not be still in business.

I also had the shaft built up with hard chrome, de-embrittled and crack tested.

My 35 Commander has the pin with the bearing, I was lucky enough to obtain a new old stock shaft and pin, but that was over 40 years ago.

Where does your friend live. Is he in Australia.

On 28/06/2017 at 6:51 PM, Aussi John 1 said:

I had the peg built up by a company in Sydney, called Flame Coatings

Phone No. (02) 9557 43793, as it was 15 or 20 years ago, they may not be still in business.

Thanks for your response Aussi John. Flame Coatings still have a web site.

How has the FH peg held up? It is my understanding metal spray is not good in high-shear environments such as this: it peels off. Maybe the process used was different to those my advisors were thinking of.