The 1946 Resistoflex Vulmaster

TerryB

You folks on this form are an amazing group when it comes to knowledge about autos and their accessories.  Today I in my collection of auto catalogs I came across this catalog for the 1946 Resistoflex Vulmaster.  Ever heard of it?  I can honestly say I never have.  It sounded like something from a Back to the Future movie to me.  The catalog teases you with how this is the year the Resistoflex Vulmaster can make you a rich man and then, in the center of the catalog, bang, there it is in all its glory.  

Enjoy,

Terry

IMG_0713.JPG

IMG_0714.JPG

Yes, that is part of it and it self times the heat duration.  They also supply their own patches to use with this device.  The key to this is the timing, 1946.  WW 2 had limited the supply of tires so many people were riding around on tires that were in poor shape but still could not get or afford tires after the war.  This machine was the stopgap until new tires were more plentiful. 

Terry

I had, or have, a device like that for bicycle tyres. The patch came attached to a shallow metal "tub" with pyrotechnics in it. Once the patch was clamped to the tube, you light the pyrotechnics. Once they had burned out and it had cooled, you removed the clamp and metal "tub" and the patch was ready for chalk and refitting.

There is even a thread about it:

And this is the bicycle version I remember:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-VULCANIZING-PATCH-CLAMPS-40-PATCHES-/332198064826