52 Special rear lower quarters??

Guest j2thesea

Guest j2thesea

ANY ideas where to look? Any templates out there? Any past experience greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Make em.

I was in the same boat with my 56 Chrysler. No replacement panels to be had. The pix below are out of sequence but you can get the general idea starting with my home made English wheel. It took a few tries to get it right but the Chrysler is an AACA Grand National winner so I guess I done good. You can too. It ain't brain surgery..............Bob

56 patch panels 001.jpg

56 patch panels 003.jpg

56 patch panels 006.jpg

56 patch panels 008.jpg

56 patch panels 010.jpg

56 patch panels 013.jpg

56 patch panels 016.jpg

56 patch panels 018.jpg

• Like 2

Several early 1950s Buick parts cars at Browne & Sons Auto Salvage, Sunset, Texas. You might be able to get him to cut some panels out for you. (940) area code.

Fabricating and mastering the English wheel is not easily done, especially if you are only going to use it once. Been there, done that. If you are doing several of them every year, I think Eastwood sells a nice starter kit for a small English wheel, if you are not has good a tool fabricator as Bob is above!

There's also the _______ Speed Shop, (help me out, somebody--can't remember the whole name), in Ohio--think the town is name Navarre? He advertises patch panels in the Auto Round-Up Magazine.

Guest j2thesea

Pretty awesome work there by Bob. Not sure if I could run an operation like that in my current living situation. I FB messaged Browne & Sons. Just waiting on their reply. Thanks for the info!

2 hours ago, j2thesea said:

Pretty awesome work there by Bob. Not sure if I could run an operation like that in my current living situation. I FB messaged Browne & Sons. Just waiting on their reply. Thanks for the info!

I realize not everyone has the equipment or facilities to do something like this but I just wanted to point out to everyone that they can accomplish a lot more than they think they are capable of if they will only try. The English wheel was made with little more than a drill press a MIG welder along with two old bearings and some scrap steel. Cost was less than $25. Using the wheel had a steep learning curve and I scrapped probably 6 attempts until I got good results but the best part of the job was gaining the experience along with the self satisfaction of just plain doing it. I'm thinking some of the guys here may not realize what they are capable of. Good luck with your hunt for patch panels................Bob

• Like 1

Guest j2thesea

I'm not one to sell myself short....lol If I had a garage, I'd probably buy a cheapish english wheel and dive in. I love making my own parts, when I can. Thanks for the info for sure, when I buy a new house, I may invest in one.