McPHERSON COLLEGE ANNUAL CAR SHOW

Barbara and I went up to the McPherson College car show earlier today.  We were told that there were a tad over 400 entrants this year - the most entrants and the biggest spectator attendance ever.  There was something there for everybody.  Pre-War, Post-War, Trucks, Tractors, Motorcycles, and there was even an ultra-light circling the show area for a while.  There were several Buicks to check out and we even had Chuck and Kathy Kerls come up from Wichita.  Chuck helped me pass out copies of the 50th Anniversary Meet Bugle to interested, prospective BCA members who own Buicks.  I think I got two new members signed up in the club.  One lady hunted me down and told me she has a 1962 Special Convertibile that has the 215 cubic inch V-8 in it and that it is bright Red.  I gave her a Bugle and an application form and she was happier than two Jaybirds in a Mulberry Patch.  The weather was absolutely perfect and a good time was had by all.

P5060013.JPG

P5060017.JPG

P5060023.JPG

P5060025.JPG

P5060028.JPG

• Like 7

As Terry said this is an amazing show that is put on by the students of the restoration college. This is a 4 year degreed program and I believe this is the only degreed program in the United States from the last information that I have. Our Bugle editor, Pete Phillips is a graduated of this program.  Several cars at the show today have won awards at Pebble Beach and are amazing.

It was good to see Terry working to represent our club working  to sign up new members. Thanks Terry good job.

I would encourage anyone who has an interest in cars old or new put this school on your bucket list. I have gone to this show for the 3rd time and every year it gets bigger and bigger. A lot of the students are walking  the show field all day long and they are always happy to tell you what they are building at the current time.

Its a good way to spend the day.

21 hours ago, Booreatta said:

...This is a 4 year degreed program and I believe this is the only degreed program in the United States from the last information that I have....

The last I heard, it was the only 4-YEAR degreed

program on auto restoration.  The Pennsylvania

College of Technology, a trade-school affiliate of

the Pennsylvania State University, offers a 2-year

(Associates') degree on auto restoration.  I wouldn't

be surprised if Penn College, as it's known, 

some day offers a 4-year program.

John you are correct I did a little research. The information on the history from the school the program was started in 1976 by an entrepreneur Gaines H. Billue gifted over 125 classic and antique cars provided initial funds for the program. in 1997 the program attracted the attention of Jay Leno who established the the Fred Duesenberg Scholarship and the Jay Leno Popular Mechanics Scholarship. Both Scholarships continue to fund the school and the College remains the the only school to provide a bachelor's degree in Restoration Technology. 

When I was on the Buick Club board I tried to have the BCA establish a scholarship but that effort fell short. The way to get youth in the BCA is to get them involved. If Leno can do it WHY CANT WE.....

• Like 2

On 2017-05-09 at 9:51 AM, Booreatta said:

John you are correct I did a little research. The information on the history from the school the program was started in 1976 by an entrepreneur Gaines H. Billue gifted over 125 classic and antique cars provided initial funds for the program. in 1997 the program attracted the attention of Jay Leno who established the the Fred Duesenberg Scholarship and the Jay Leno Popular Mechanics Scholarship. Both Scholarships continue to fund the school and the College remains the the only school to provide a bachelor's degree in Restoration Technology. 

When I was on the Buick Club board I tried to have the BCA establish a scholarship but that effort fell short. The way to get youth in the BCA is to get them involved. If Leno can do it WHY CANT WE.....

Leno has more money and can make a decision about what to do with his money quite easily. The club is effectively tun by committee which requires a degree of consensus. 

• Like 1

On 5/9/2017 at 10:51 AM, Booreatta said:

Gaines H. Billue gifted [gave] over 125 classic and antique cars provided initial funds for the program...

Does McPherson College still have the 125 antique cars

that were donated to them?  Are they all, or mostly, on

display for the public to view?  Or were some of them sold,

perhaps, to pay for the college's expenses over the years?

It would be a nice car museum for those in the area---