New guy with a 24 Chrysler

Guest Dubie

Guest Dubie

I brought this 24/25 Chrysler home last week. It was once a car turned into a truck in the mid 40's. I'm sure I'll have a ton of questions a we go through this truck but just wanted to share the pics and get some input as to what this vehicle really was.

24chrysler2.jpg

24truck.jpg

24truck1.jpg

24truck2.jpg

24truck4.jpg

24truck5.jpg

chrysler.jpg

chrysler1.jpg

serial.jpg

Edited by Dubie (see edit history)

I can't tell for sure but the first letter my be a "W"

1924s had the oval serial number plat on the dash, The fedco plate was started in 1926 and  installed on the left side of the dash (1926 27 only)

The engine serial number would also help it will either be on the right side stamped on the timing chain casting between the water pump and the generator or it will be stamped on the left side behind the water pump just below the head. The engine serial number will start with a letter  G, H

Hi,

I read somewhere that the FEDCO system was only introduced by Chrysler in June 26. 1924/5 did not have FEDCO numbers.

Your car appears to be a 1926 Model G70. The G70 had an early and a late series. Early series had 6 lug wheels and the later series had 5 lug wheels. The ones with 5 lug wheels are considered 1927 models.

I also recall seeing somewhere that the FEDCO system was an anti theft device. The FEDCO plate apparently has seven layers, if a thief tried to tamper with the plate there was another layer underneath that would be slightly different, in that it had one less number, but an additional letter or vice versa and these numbers were held by the FBI to identify stolen cars. I stand to be corrected but maybe someone else has more info on this.

Anyone have a spare FEDCO plate they can destroy to confirm this info??

Best regards

Viv.