Fluid Drive 47 windsor

I understand that the transmission uses 10 wt oil. Does the fluid drive itself also use 10 wt oil?

next question, I am a little fuzzy about how to check the oil level  and how to access the plug to be able to do the checking on the fluid drive, even after reading the manual!. Am sure somebody out there could give me a heads up on this.

regards

Bruce

This has been discussed hundreds of times. There were some real long, detailed threads in 2008 that covered the topic thoroughly. Do a search for Fluid Drive in the Chrysler and Dodge boards and you will find much food for thought.

Briefly, Chrysler recommended their own Fluid Drive fluid. This has not been available for years. Or 10W motor oil. Today we use tractor fluid, TDH type, ISO22 or ISO32 grade. TDH stands for transmission, differential and hydraulic so it is good for your trans or Fluid Drive unit. Can be bought at auto supply stores, farm supply stores, Canadian Tire etc.

The Fluid Drive and transmission are filled separately. Fluid Drive unit filled through a hole in the floor, on the left side of the trans hump, below the dash board. Trans by removing a pipe plug on the right side of the transmission, like a typical manual trans. Trans fluid supposed to be changed every 10,000 miles. Fluid Drive is a sealed unit. They do not say anything about changing the fluid, just checking and topping up.

Picking a nit, my experience with three of these cars is that the access plate is on the RIGHT side of the tunnel over the Fluid Drive.  And be VERY VERY careful that you do not drop the filler plug in the Fluid Drive.