Dual Carb rebuild 66 GS

kreed

For anyone needing an original carb rebuild ,wanted to give Sparky's Carb Sevice in Milwaukee a little shout out. These dual carbs came off a 66 Riviera which had been a  hot rod and then left in a field in northern Iowa for 29 years when I drug it out of the  weeds last  Fall. The " before " pictures are actually after I spent a few hours pulling out mice nest and cobwebs !  Apparently they originally came off a 65 Rivi GS  according to numbers on the  carbs . Putting them on my 66 MW code GS. Sent them to Sparky and he worked some miracles even on the kick down unit. Not what I call inexpensive but you get what you pay for in quality from him . I highly recommend him . 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kreed said:

For anyone needing an original carb rebuild ,wanted to give Sparky's Carb Sevice in Milwaukee a little shout out. These dual carbs came off a 66 Riviera which had been a  hot rod and then left in a field in northern Iowa for 29 years when I drug it out of the  weeds last  Fall. The " before " pictures are actually after I spent a few hours pulling out mice nest and cobwebs !  Apparently they originally came off a 65 Rivi GS  according to numbers on the  carbs . Putting them on my 66 MW code GS. Sent them to Sparky and he worked some miracles even on the kick down unit. Not what I call inexpensive but you get what you pay for in quality from him . I highly recommend him .

Wow - they should be in a glass display case. Congrats.

Where'd you get the switch pitch switches? Hens teeth!

On April 5, 2017 at 0:44 PM, PWB said:

Wow - they should be in a glass display case. Congrats.

Where'd you get the switch pitch switches? Hens teeth!

The original switch pitch was on the original carb set up and there was an extra one on the rear floorboard among the mice droppings and old beer cans . 

image.jpeg

Thanks for the note Tom . I think you are exactly right . The numbers on the carbs are 3646 and 3645 . Am I to understand that the 64 dual quad set up did not have a kick down switch . When I pulled these off the 66 hot rod the kicdown switch was attached but  I didn't really  pay any attention to it as the carbs were pretty nasty - just dusted them off and sent them to Sparky. After he looked them over , he sent me a note saying that they were a "matched pair" from a 65  . A couple of references I saw state the the 3645 is a 64 OR a 65 but the 3646 is a 64 rear carb . Haven't received them yet from him but will check it out further when I get them and let you know. Thanks again for your expertise . 

KReed

ROA 14549

The `64 has a kickdown switch but it is actuated by the roller on the driver`s side throttle lever. The `65-`66 carb has a pin, not a roller, which the "eye" of the switch displayed in your pics slides onto. Also, no switch pitch function built into the `64 downshift switch.

Tom