glass thickness? '39 commander

fh4ever

So what side glass thickness are y'all using in the early commander (1939) restorations ?

I was just about to order the complete glass kit for the '39 commander, but VG says they supply it in 1/4" thick. 
All of my side glass measures .210".    Would .250" be too thick for:
  1. both front and rear vent window frames,
  • the door window mounting channel at the bottom of the glass 
  • and even the felt "U" channel around the door window frames 

I will be using new glass setting tape for the vent windows and door channel mount and I wonder if it all will be too tight to fit?   and if the windows will be hard to roll up and down in the channels afterwards.  

The windshield measures .265" which I think 1/4" would work fine there. I have not removed the back glass yet but I imagine 1/4" would work fine there too. 

thanks all 

yeah I may have to do that...Hoping someone here has already replaced theirs and could tell me what thickness was used and if there were any issues... using 1/4" .

The plan was to get the glass as a kit to save $$,   install only the windshield and rear glass for now,  replace the side glass later on.  I already ordered the windshield rubber, but not the setting tape, anti rattle felt,  or felt channel for the side glass.    

is yours new glass or the original?  with a tape measure... my original looks like 3/16"...but with a dial caliper it is .200"  -  .210" 

I do have some new information, the supplier is willing to supply .218" side glass which is very close.   I just need to make sure I can get the correct thickness setting tape and window felt channel.    I really believe with the thicker 1/4" glass, new felt anti-rattle, and new felt window channel, the door glass will be hard to roll up and down.   Been there....done that on another car!

ahhh great , I will give them a try.  

I did get some setting tape (.80" thick) from SI and tested it on the door glass channel mount and the vent window frame using the original glass .210" thick.  Looks like their tape will work...I had a small strip of .050" and .060" setting tape and the glass is too loose.  So it looks like SI has the correct tape.  I am quite convinced now not to use the 1/4" glass.  

• 6 months later...

first...an update on the glass...I did go with 1/4" , supplier first thought .210" would be no issue to get...later it became an issue.   With the 1/4"window channel and thinner glass setting tape, the glass rolled up and down just fine on the front doors.    

But I have a question on the rear doors, to remove the glass, I pulled the glass and window channel out from the top...I cannot see the glass being removed from the bottom half of the door at all, the way the door curves at the bottom..the bottom is much narrower than the glass is wide.  Am I correct this is the way to remove the glass?  and to install the glass..the channel needs to be wrapped around the glass and installed together from the top...once in, lower the glass and then glue the channel to the door frame opening....correct?