oldcar

1912 Humber

301 posts in this topic

Read through the thread and the work you are doing on Humber is incredible. It is truly a piece of history and I look forward to seeing your progress.

On ‎8‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 2:00 PM, oldcar said:

My dear Kiwi friend

No doubt you are quite correct except that If you have visited Brooklands you would appreciate that it was a almost flat, almost oval track with steeply banked corners. The cars tended to run quite high final drive gearing and were "wound up" over a number of laps. My copy of W (Bill) Boddy's History of Brooklands manages to convey the impression that cars may do anything up to a dozen "warm-up" laps before the timing official would drop his flag for the start of "Timed Laps". Having said that the Humber crankshaft was made of particularly high quality steel. Otherwise it would not have lasted for the past one hundred and five years and once the engine is re-assembled hopefully will last many more.

In all probability considerably longer than me.  

Finally how many of todays little wiz-bang cars would be capable of withstanding hours of absolutely flat out running.

If you are a connoisseur fine engineering and remarkable crankshafts may I suggest that you have a quick look at my "thread' Under British cars/ Lagonda Rapiers?#192 on this forum

Bj

Only just come back to this thread for a look. Yes I have been to Brooklands (on a cold, wet, windy day in February 2014) and I am well aware of what it was like. I am no engineer but I do know that accurate machining and clearances, along with good quality materials are important, but also with the right oil and running at the right temperature things will generally last well. One reason why modern cars will go forever with regular and frequent oil changes and not much else. There was a time, even I can remember, when 100,000 miles was considered a good life for an engine. I think gravel roads and poor air filtering did for many engines.  Nowadays they should go several times that. Our little Toyota six has done nearly 400,000 km and only had the clutch done a couple of years ago. Unfortunately what has worn is the ohc valve gear. One reason why it is apart and probably being replaced with another version of the same engine. We have had the car for too long to consider throwing it away. The kids grew up with it and now that they have the skills it is theirs fix.

Posted (edited)

Hello Both

Unfortunately you will have to wait a little longer until I get back to work on the Humber I am still waiting for the pistons for the Lagonda in the interim I am doing some improvements to the inlet manifold, something that has been bugging me for years.

Bj                                                                                                                                                               

Edited by oldcar (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

Hello fellow British Car Enthusiasts

I asked for this thread be moved from "Our Cars and Restoration Projects" to here because I felt that the Humber would be more at home among the other British cars. I know that being an "Edwardian" it may still a seem little strange here among far more modern cars. It is a very challenging project and I hope that you enjoy following my trials and tribulations. Work on the Humber is a little slow right now until I manage to get the Lagonda Rapier back on the road.

Bernie j.                                                                                                                                                          15180

Welcome home!  Actually, both places are fine, but I will follow you no matter where you post.

1 person likes this

16 hours ago, unimogjohn said:

Welcome home!  Actually, both places are fine, but I will follow you no matter where you post.

Yep!  Just need to know where you are. 

Ben

I'm here with you too, Bernie. :)

Looking forward to Humber updates once you get the Lagonda up and running.

Posted (edited)

Wheel_of_life.jpg.42a21b1eaa16a4b020b9db101267fcdc.jpgimages.jpeg.da9a1010144d2a662fa4296901738492.jpeg

Thank you both Ben and Paul,

I appreciate your interest and confidence in my ability. The Lagonda is coming closer with the motor ready to assemble this coming week.

One aspect of the Humber I would be grateful for any assistance is delving into the Humber Company history, From 1886 Humber used the Wheel of Life motif as their "trade mark", first as Transfers on the bicycle frames then on the chain-wheels of his bicycles and finally on the hub caps of the cars. There are several forms of the "Wheel of Life' some dating from very early England (around 450-550A.D.) and early Buddhism. But I have yet to see the Humber version used anywhere else. One clue is that prior to becoming a bicycle and then a car manufacturer, Humber was a Blacksmith, at least one reference to the Wheel of Life mentions "Hell". Some historians compare Black-smithing to Hell. An extremely hot work enviroment,with roaring fires, glowing metal and the loud noise of beating metal with hammers. In the past I have seen "blacksmithing" refered to as "The Black Art". There are said to be NINE different versions of the Wheel of Life. I have yet to see the Humber version anywhere else. Any suggestions?

Bj.

DSCN5369.thumb.jpg.af5e7cba41613781a5e9d347fcb2f2de.jpg

Bj

1 person likes this

Perhaps there are some Anglophiles out there who are wrapped up in the history of the Midlands who can assist. I have sent a whole rash of emails out to UK based History Societies etc without any success.

Bj

I am not sure exactly what Peter and his team have been doing But I am sure that it will be of some benefit to us all.

Well done Peter G and co and thank you all for ALL your behind the scenes activities. Where would we be without the AACA Forums!

Bernie j.

While there is still very little to report on the Humber progress, work on the Lagonda Rapier is progressing albeit slowly.

Bernie j.

2 people like this

Bernie,

RE the Humber crankshaft - does it have oil drillings to feed the 2 and 3 big ends? Or is it splash lubed? Just curious.

Thanks

john

Posted (edited)

Hello John

Quite remarkably for 1912. The crankshaft is drilled and lubrication is full pressure to mains and bigends.

I have started to put the motor back into the Lagonda this afternoon so I should be back working on the Humber again very soon.

Bj

Hey! It is now more than a month since I posted the photographs of the Humber "Wheel of Life" and not one person has suggested an answer to my question. Have you all been so bored that you have gone to sleep.

Bj.

It must be something to do with my advanced/advancing age. After almost five months of working and worrying on a daily basis over the extremely taxing rebuild of my Lagonda Rapier's engine I find I have little appetite to start working again on the HUMBER. I have now decided to offer it For Sale. 

I should not need to tell you that this is an extremely rare opportunity to obtain a Brass Era car that is almost complete albeit totally dismantled. To learn more send me a PM or email me direct <twooldlags@gmail.com>

Bernie j.

Sorry to hear this Bernie, i was looking forward to you resuming works on the Humber.

Hello OnSafari

Please don't become too agitated, I don't expect to sell the Humber over night, that said, I really cannot see myself just walking away and leaving it as virtually all the previous owners over the past 60 years have. Once I have finished two or three more necessary jobs on the Lagonda, if the Humber is unsold, it will not be simply left to gather dust.

I may have to adjust my  plans for it slightly. Don't go away.

Bernie j.

Posted (edited)

It is with mixed feelings that I have to tell you that the 1912 Humber has been sold and will be making its way back to the place of its birth, England. I now realise that I would never have been able to finish the restoration. If I am to take on another restoration project it will have to be a smaller and more complete car. Meanwhile I still have some "sorting" to do on the Lagonda Rapier.

Bernie j.

1 person likes this

Bernie, congratulations on the quick sale! Hopefully it is gone on to a good home that will continue what you started.

Posted (edited)

The Good Thing is that The Humber is going back to the UK and to an Enthusiast who will complete the restoration. I am sure that my friends at the Humber Register will give him all the support and assistance he needs. 

I was for once amazed just how quickly it sold, It was one of those occasions when all the boxes were ticked just at the right time.

I can now give all my attention to getting the Lagonda Rapier sorted out and running as it should.

A big Thank You to all my friends on the AACA Forum for all your interest and support.

Bernie Jacobson

With the Humber 75% packed and ready for shipment to the UK. There are four of these wire mesh crates of small parts, including a pile of body brackets and fittings all made in Humber's own Blacksmith shop. The question is should at my great age (80) should I be thinking about another perhaps simpler project? One thing for sure is that IF  there is to be another project It will almost certainly of British origin and definitely pre WW2.

I will not receive the final payment for the Humber until June 30 which gives me a little time to do some thinking and some research. I am reminded that I have to be careful not to get splinters in my fingers while scratching my head.

Bernie j.

DSCN5463.thumb.jpg.58a302ad30d32a94b79fe24f54224885.jpgDSCN5462.thumb.jpg.aac5e51df18aa175274bf9c228a496c6.jpg

Bernie, sorry to see the Humber go.  But excited to see what's next.  Great and interesting work as always.