Back to the Subject of Artillery Wheels

Every once in a while the subject of mid-thirties artillery wheels comes up. I haven't actually checked the older threads, but I seem to recall asking if anyone had an image of 17" Dodge wheels, as I couldn't recall ever seeing any. I mention this because someone has listed a pair for sale on ebay, if anyone is curious to see what they look like. He states that they are for trucks. I know that 17" wheels weren't an option for cars in '36. Do you guys know if these were ever used on '34 or '35 cars?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252407831945?ul_noapp=true

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)

Guest DodgeKCL

My Detroit built '35 KCL originally came with 5:50/5:25/17" steel artillerys, it's on the original build ticket I got from Chrysler Historical. I couldn't find a set of 17s when I first got the truck and put on the more common 6:00/16". Lo and behold I'm at a flea market one day and you know what I found!! But by then I had put on new rubber and painted the rims so I'll live with that for now. But I believe 1/2 ton truck chassis did more commonly come with 17s rather than 16s.   

The 16 were actually Plymouth wheels used on the 35, trucks,they are 2 piece rivet like in the picture, are actually stronger design then the 16 on cars, I had the car type on the truck when I first restored it,. Then swap a set of rims with Dan Kerr for truck, Plymouth type,.  Put new tires a tubes,. Then a guy in Missouri was hotroding a 35 , bought 17 from him, got engine , transmission reared and rims, for $1000,  also use different hupcap, 

Hotrodder are go for something,.   SPARE PARTS!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by 30dodge35 (see edit history)

13 hours ago, 30dodge35 said:

the wheels on my truck or 17, they are the 2 piece type, the ones in the picture look like the type used on cars , the scallops are different

image.jpeg

Spare wheel different? Spare has 10 slots and the ones on the ground have 12.

Yeah, we talked about Dodge trucks coming with Plymouth wheels last time. If you'll recall I mentioned that the Dodge wheels were prone to bending easily because the mating surface (to the hub) didn't have the reinforcing gussets around the lug holes that the Plymouth wheels have. As far as artillery wheels on Dodge light trucks, I'm willing to bet that nearly all of them, with the exception of some '35s came with Plymouth wheels whether 16" or 17", from the factory. As I said before, I know that 17" wheels weren't available, even as an option in '36 for Dodge passenger cars. Plymouth, however, continued to offer 17"s for '36, and, I think, for a couple of years after that. I guess that I always thought that at some point prior to '36 Dodge passenger cars would have come with 17" wheels whether stock or optional. It seems that I was wrong about that and that Dodge went straight to 16" wheels from what ever they had on '32 or '33s.  I had never seen a 17" wheel that was clearly a Dodge style, rather than a Plymouth before these on ebay. Dave, it looks like you're right about their only being a '35 truck offering. That makes these two on ebay fairly rare, I guess. Can you imagine how long you would have to own these before you could come up with two more to make a set? I just thought some of you Dodge fans might enjoy seeing these two.

The other part, is hupcap so, when I had 16 car rims on 35' I had to have the car hubcaps with raise dodge v,. Due to the fact the front offset is not enough, you have to have the 3 inch high hubcap for spindle clearance, sold the set I had to Dan,

Guest DodgeKCL

All these photos of wheels are showing 1936 LCs or later Their attachment system consists of clips on the wheel with a smooth rimmed hub cap. 1933,'34 and '35 had spring loaded clips around the hub cap rim and they snapped into the wheel. It would seem to me you guys are discussing 1936 and later, not 1935 and earlier. At least that's what I have physically found on vehicles over the years and not in the books. Which I don't trust.   

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 11:59 AM, countrytravler said:

This wheel has details that I don't recognize. I not an expert at anything, but I question if this wheel is Chrysler Corp at all. The perimeter pin stripe and the raised area around the inner tube valve maybe elements of a Chrysler or De Soto wheel, but I'm not familiar with those. I've owned Dodges and Plymouths, myself. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that this GM, or something else.

1 hour ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

This wheel has details that I don't recognize. I not an expert at anything, but I question if this wheel is Chrysler Corp at all. The perimeter pin stripe and the raised area around the inner tube valve maybe elements of a Chrysler or De Soto wheel, but I'm not familiar with those. I've owned Dodges and Plymouths, myself. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that this GM, or something else.

I would guess this is a GM wheel being a 6 lug

1 hour ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

I would guess this is a GM wheel being a 6 lug

2016-06-04 12_42_30-Settings.jpg

2016-06-04 12_44_01-Settings.jpg

Wow, some beautiful trucks there. On the subject of artillery wheels, I just posted an inquiry about some Budd wheels that I have on the "what is it?" forum. I don't know what they fit. If any one here has any ideas, I'd sure appreciate it.

The 1933 Dodge car was the last year for clip hubcaps. 34 and up cars had the clips on the wheels. Don't know about the wooden spoke wheels. Have sold many caps with no clips to customers in 

3 minutes ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

Yes, but more importantly, it has Plymouth passenger car wheels and not the weaker Dodge passenger car ones.

What wheels are you talking about that are inferior? 

Just now, countrytravler said:

The 1933 Dodge car was the last year for clip hubcaps. 34 and up cars had the clips on the wheels. Don't know about the wooden spoke wheels. Have sold many caps with no clips to customers in 

What wheels are you talking about that are inferior? 

Dave, I've talked about this before. The Dodge passenger cars wheels are easily bent because they don't have reinforcing gussets between the lug holes. I don't know why Chrysler Corp continued to use them as long as they did. I think that the proof that they knew they had a problem with them is that they sold Dodge light trucks with Plymouth wheels.

On 6/5/2016 at 11:30 PM, Hudsy Wudsy said:

Dave back to the truck on You Tube, it has the Plymouth style wheels on it, so I'd say they are correct for sure.

According to my parts book, the Ply wheels were not available till Feb 35 when the 2nd series was produced. Regular hung doors with the solid top and crank our windshield. The truck should have the flat caps with the clips on the caps. The 33 to the 35 1st design trucks did not have the artillery wheels.

IMG_4187.JPG

Edited by countrytravler (see edit history)

6 minutes ago, 30dodge35 said:

Dave, the 36 in video has correct wheel, 16 inch Plymouth wheel

I was talking about the truck in post #28. It was at our shop before it went to the show that I posted with all the trucks. It suppose to have the spoke wheels with the flat caps.