milky brown transmission oil

jimy

I just drained the transmission oil from my 1935 Dodge Pickup.  Out came a tan milky fluid.  The fellow that restored the truck had disassembled a few transmissions to get a good set of working parts to make a good one out of.  Restoration was completed a couple of years ago but the transmission could have been filled 5 years earlier.

Assuming this is water, I'm not quite sure how that could have happened.  Only driven in light rain a few times.  And of course washed a few times.  Is there any sort of vent or vent like that the water could have come thru?  I don't believe the truck has spent a night outside since restoration.

Any chance the transmission case wasn't  cleaned and rust caused this?

Thanks,

Jim Youngs

Mine had same ,is probably water . In my case figure it came though roof leak down shift stick . only other is may be thought speedo cable . You'll have to take top off clean with kero and add new fluid . Get some sheet gasket material for new top gasket , and watch levels in proper gear when assembling .

Another thought is that someone may have put in an additive with the trans oil, they will often change the oil color.

To check if its water, leave it in a clear jar for a day or so and the water will separate, naturally the water will sink to the bottom.