1947 Chrysler shocks & springs

I Have a condition when I am going over a bump or rough roads that the rear of the car almost feels like it is bottoming out. When I push down hard on the bumper it is very stiff & does not bounce up 

& down. Would this lead to a leaf spring problem?  Looking at the springs of course you can't tell if they are the problem or it is the shocks. Is there a way of determining  either way ?  Thanking in advance for some ideas.

Bruce Watson

There is a rubber pad on the body just above the front of the rear end.

You should be able to put a piece of bubble gum on a machined pad above the pinion flange that lines up with that pad.

Go for a drive on a rough road and see if the gum gets squished.

(unfortunately my car does not have the original rear end in it so it may be slightly different than what I am describing, but you get the idea.)

It is also possible that the shocks are to long, you could unhook the bottom end and then jump up and down on the bumper to see if they had been bottoming out.

The springs are supposed to have pads or sliders at the end of each leaf. If these are worn out or lost, and the springs rusty, they won't flex as easily as they should. Any spring shop can rearch and recondition the springs for around $200 maybe less.

Shock absorbers don't last that long, 20,000 to 25,000 miles. Even if they seem to be working ok and not leaking you will feel a difference if you put on new ones. While you are at it have the front end checked over and an alignment done, you will be amazed how nice the car rides and drives.