Windscreen for TC

Degerb

HI all... I hope someone has an answer for me. I would like to install the windscreen from the gentleman Salty, advertising in our recent Newsletter. The windscreen is available but has N/A brackets. When I contacted him, he was unable to give me any info or pictures on the needed bracket fabrication. Has anyone had any experience or photos about constructing these brackets that you could share with me? I hesitate on spending a couple of hundred dollars without more info.
Thanks Don

What brackets are you speaking of? I haven't taken the windshield out of mine yet, but it will be coming out. I know for fact that the J-body LeBaron convertible windshield works and from what I can tell in the TC's FSM the installation is the same.

I have 90' 16V yellow/Ginger TC. I am asking about the windscreen advertised in our Newsletter, that mounts behind the seats, in front of the tonneau cover. It is made of clear Plexi-glass or such, it is supposed  to cut down on the turbulence/ noise when driving with the top down. I heard/read at one time, brackets were available that provided quick removal or installation. I would like to see a picture of the brackets so I can understand and perhaps duplicate the mounting concept before I spend a couple of hundred bucks on the windscreen sans brackets.

Thanks Don

Edited by Degerb (see edit history)

Here are a couple of screens from the Yahoo group. I hope the links work, since they changed that group I can't just copy and paste an image anymore. The printed instructions go with the second pic link.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ChryslersTCbyMaserat/photos/photostream/lightbox/805900859?orderBy=mtime&sortOrder=desc&photoFilter=ALL#zax/64258068

2942Re: [CTCbyM] Wind screen

Expand Messages

• The Jordans
    Apr 19, 2003

Re: Windscreen ... I made one which works very well for me. Cuts 75-80% of the back wind leaving just enough to be comfortable. Have been very comfortable driving 75 MPH in 55-60 degree weather.

It's 3/16 lucite 12 x 28" with rounded corners at the top. Fits with brackets on the inside edge of the top cover front wall. The brackets are 1/8 aluminum 1-3/4 wide and 10 1/2" long ... 11" between brackets. Bottom of lucite is 5-3/8" from top of tire cover shelf. Fastened to the top of the brackets are 1/16" U-shaped brackets that fit on the inside front wall of the convertible top storage compartment.

To fit the screen on to the back wall, just open the top and them close it with the brackets in place.

The lucite cost $10. Aluminum brackets are extra.

Even though the lucite is mounted away from the seat backs, it does deflect the wind.

Sorry I confused the subject.

Personally, having driven in other convertibles, I find the TC more than tolerable on the highway...I can actually have a normal conversation, the wind isn't bad, no buffeting, it doesn't feel like I'm in a tornado! Plus, I like a *little* wind...I mean, that's WHY you put the top down!! LOL YMMV

Hi Reaper

I too have had many convertibles from a Pontiac straight 8 to a TR6, a  total of 6 over the years. It's very hard to find a highway for cruising without someone behind pushing or honking for you to go faster! Unfortunately at 70 on a freeway you do tend to get wind noise and turbulence. When I was a few years younger I didn't mind a hair raising experience, now I prefer a little less wind in my sails!:D Besides that I just think a well engineered windscreen looks sort of cool! The link from Ghosty, while interesting is really not what I have in mind. Just a little aside... I spent 30 years at the "Lazy B" before retiring, some of the time in Everett.. small world isn't It!

100_1878 (2015_01_11 20_43_07 UTC).JPG100_1877 (2015_01_11 20_43_07 UTC).JPGThe info Ghostymosty on Jordons windscreen is correct. I purchased the information years ago , What I got from Jordon was the hangers or brackets only then I got my own Plexiglas because I wanted it in Smoke. It works perfect at any speed. you could light a cigarette at 70mph (if you smoke)I attached a picture so you could see what mine looks like. I put the Maserati emblem in the top center so people knew .......

No because the screen sits on he front of the rear cover. You are not near the light. No wear at all, I leave it on most of the year.

I was looking for another picture from 2004 or 2006 that someone made a shield behind the front seats. He bolted a 2x4 into the headrest steel riser, then cut a piece of Plexiglas to the  2x4. Only problem was you could not adjust the passenger seat unless you also moved the drivers seat . It was closer to your head and probably cut down all wind but impractical., It was all one piece.

• 1 month later...

The items that I purchased to make this are as follows:

1. 48" x 1 1/4" angle aluminum (cut to fit) 38"

2. 48" x 1 1/2" aluminum (cut to fit) 38"

3. 38" x 8" x 1/4" thick plexiglass

4. 2 2' corner brackets

5. 10 1/2" screws

6. Velcro

cost of the above was under $40

Decal cost me more than all the other.

To put in place raise the cover place corner brackets behind latches velcro close the cover. When not using I store in trunk.

IMG_0019.JPG

IMG_0020.JPG

IMG_0021.JPG

IMG_0022.JPG

Thanks TNtc... This is why I like our Club, members sharing with members! I really appreciate you taking the time working up the parts list and taking the pic's. You have a very sharp looking TC... those white sheepskins and your windscreen really set it apart from others!