1964 World’s Fair

I was there, too. I was in college, had a girl friend on Long Island, we went a couple of times. It was different than anything I had been to before. It can't have been 50 years ago - but it was!

I was there, was 14 at the time, can still feel and smell the hot green Dino plastic dinosaur being handed to me after they cast it while you were waiting....kept it for a long time but not long enough....I'd just started being interested in cars, and of course the Ford and General Motors exhibits were great....great memory...

I still have my Chrysler Turbine Promos they handed out. We lived in the Bronx and went about 4 times, I forgot about the green plastic Dino the dinosaur. I just came across the Sinclair brochure/map of the exhibit. My Grandfather worked on the construction of the fair, he said it was the biggest money maker he ever worked on, the money was falling out of the sky. I never knew that about the Uniroyal Ferris Wheel, I know some of the animated displays like the GE Hall of Progress ended up in Disney. I was only 6 years old, so my detailed memory is a bit of blur. I found a few boxes at my fathers place I still have not opened yet marked "Worlds Fair 1964"

post-31482-143142902774_thumb.jpgThinking of the World's Fair made me go dig out some of my old pictures, hard copies from the 60's, wonder if 50 years from now one would be able to find the digital copy so fast?

One of the big Chrysler car (which for some reason isn't often shown when pics of fair come up, you always see GM and Ford), another of the "old cars" you could get in and drive, think they were on a middle rail, another of one of the dinosaurs with famous globe in background. Dinosaurs were big at that fair, not only Dino but there was an entire exhibit of life size ones.

post-31482-143142902744_thumb.jpg

post-31482-143142902763_thumb.jpg

post-31482-143142902803_thumb.jpgHere are a couple more shots of the fair, mainly to illustrate how times have changed. People going to a World's Fair in the 60's, it was a big deal, and just like for airline travel and other things in that time, one got dressed up as it was a special occasion. Note that everyone has nice coats and nice dresses, even some ties, no tank tops or tube tops or t-shirts or torn jeans. Even I, as a kid posing in front of the NASA exhibit, had on a nice coat at 14 years old....my, my, how times have changed, we've really progressed in society, haven't we?!

post-31482-143142902793_thumb.jpg