V8 oil pump conversion

Steamcar

Guys, I'm looking at a 1955 Patrician. It runs, but oil pressure drops dramatically when hot. I seem to recall there was an oil pump from another manufacturer that can replace the Packard pump to eliminate the problem. Any Ideas and how much modification needs done for this change?

Thanks,

Jim Showers

1915 Madison

1916 Crow-Elkhart

1941 Packard 120

1947 Packard Clipper

1953 Packard Cavalier

Do a search in the forums at www.packardinfo.com. (GO: advanced search, packard forums, V8 oil pump) There are numerous threads detailing the problems, change, place to buy the kits (Jack Vines) etc. It is an Olds oil pump with a machined adapter to provide a mount. Some older pictures are available on Craigs Panther site. Solving the Packard V-8 Oil Pump Problem

Edited by HH56 (see edit history)

By all means look at the pump information but keep in mind that many 55/56 Packards are happily touring the country with their original pumps. It's an odd thing, perhaps a stack up of tolerances, but some cars experience oil pressure problems early in life, and others never do. If yours did suffer this and has been driven many miles since, you may have excessive clearances on the bearings by now and a simple pump replacement may not solve your problem. I'd suggest dropping the pan and checking bearing clearances - Plastigage is particularly handy for this.

• 5 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I've owned and driven this car for 3 years.. I just got a call from my Doctor's office today and I have to go for more X rays & tests..  So I have just put it up for sale this spring.  This is a good solid car with lots of mechanical's rebuilt on it including the Olds oil pump change. I have enjoyed driving it but now it's time to go.   Asking price is $14,000 obo.  I have had it on CL for a short time and got trade offers, mostly projects that they couldn't finish, and some low ball offers.. Wont happen.  If your serious call. 618-889-6855 located in Southern Illinois, Goreville

DSC01883.JPG

DSC01886.JPG

DSC01887.JPG

DSC01888.JPG

DSC01890.JPG

DSC01894.JPG

DSC02585.JPG

DSC02586.JPG

DSC02587.JPG