Cast iron DA distributor

60ch

Can anyone tell me the background on the cast iron Northeast 6 cylinder distributors that show up every so often? Were these made before the change to potmetal or were they made as a replacement for the disintegrating potmetal distibutors? I have a U2 Stromberg carb that has a cast iron top. I was told that the cast iron topped U2 carb was used on Studebaker cars. Dodge used the less expensive potmetal top. Perhaps the cast iron Northeast distributor was used on another make of auto and Dodge used the potmetal version. None of my reference literature show Northeast distibutor applications for 1929 and earlier. Any thoughts? Terry

I believe the changeover happened when Delco took over N.E in late 29 as a replacement unit. I will look up any referances to crossovers on the dist. if you would like?

I would believe the same story holds true on the cast iron carbs. I have the U-2 as a complete cast iron version.

I would find it more plausible than another make receiving a special top such as the story you were told with Stud.

I am sure there is a much longer list but I simply do not have it, You asked what other cars used Northeast so I will add that at least Chrysler in all of its lines, also Reo Franklin Willys night. My catalogs only identify Chrysler products and are primarily focused on Dodge Brother.

I will assume though that what you really want to know is what other makes used the N.E dist part # 10845 which is correct for your DA and again my data is primarily Dodge related and that dist was used on some trucks as well as the autos for 1929 1930 Dodge series.

I will look into this further today and see if I can come up with anything further, there is a guy in Canada that deals with these early electrical parts and will see if he knows of any crossovers for that dist.

I guess chances are slim since it would appear that the catalog after closer examination does appear to cover many other makes but N.E dist are primarily listed under the Chrysler products section.

Will let you know

I am still working on this Terry, ( this morning and as I type this as a matter of fact ) I am in contact and working with the man that wrote this web-page, you may enjoy it. Delco Remy Division - History

According to a catalog I found this A.M there is a part # of 10849 listed for 1930 Dodge N.E and Delco part # 10849.

This dist starts Dodge Bros 6 after D001WP which is a DD-6 engine. I know this is a long shot but I am wondering if this is a nearly identical dist. to the DA. In other words could this be the cast iron version that we are trying to pin-point the origins of?

Chances are good that it is not, chances are that the distributors have nothing in common with one another I suppose but its worth looking into further.

I will look in any of my literature to see if I can find anything but in the mean-time do you know of anyone with a DD-6 that might be able to help?

The tag on my die cast North East distributor reads, Model TBU 1084? . The number after the 4 is not clear. The serial number is 329.

The tag on my cast iron North East distributor reads, Model TBU 1084?. The number after the 4 is also not clear. The serial number is 1029.

A website that advertises North East distributor caps shows Chrysler 1930 Model CJ with North East distributor 10849. Desoto 1929-30 with North East distributor 10849.

Can you make out any of the model numbers on your distributors? The serial numbers are stamped, so the are clear. The others are painted and were easily lost. Thanks, Terry

You also will find, on rare occassion, North East starters and generators with cast (iron? steel?) end plates. Years ago we thought we noticed a trend of finding these, as well as distributors, on DB/GB trucks moreso than on cars. No one I know has found any distinction between the pot metal and the cast (iron) versions in any NE or DB or GB parts books!!! In the mid 30s Delco recommended one of their own distributors as replacement for the NE but still offered the NE originals, still with no mention of change in body materials. I also have heard of complete Stromberg carburetors (U-2, UX-2) made of cast (iron) but again, with absolutely no differences in the parts book references. So far, it's been a mystery but consider yourselves lucky when you find these parts as they are indestructable.

Edited by JB-ed
spelling (see edit history)

Guest Backyardmechanic
You also will find, on rare occassion, North East starters and generators with cast (iron? steel?) end plates. Years ago we thought we noticed a trend of finding these, as well as distributors, on DB/GB trucks moreso than on cars. No one I know has found any distinction between the pot metal and the cast (iron) versions in any NE or DB or GB parts books!!! In the mid 30s Delco recommended one of their own distributors as replacement for the NE but still offered the NE originals, still with no mention of change in body materials. I also have heard of complete Stromberg carburetors (U-2, UX-2) made of cast (iron) but again, with absolutely no differences in the parts book references. So far, it's been a mystery but consider yourselves lucky when you find these parts as they are indestructable.

John And others;

Here's an interesting note that I came upon.When Delco took over N/E all N/E parts number were used but started off with 50xxxxx.We do have a N/E parts manual that has the old and the new parts numbers.I was cleaning up a cast iron starter end plate and notice the part number starting with 50 where as the pot metal end plate starts without the 50,then it came to me about the old/new part number.

Vern.

Edited by Backyardmechanic (see edit history)

• 5 years later...

Thanks Bob. The picture you posted... It looks to have the same big chunk of metal missing from the side as mine does. I mean exactly!!  Was that a common problem?

Thanks, Dave

(can't seem to get a pic loaded up and not sure which messages are going through. BTW, if you know anyone who has a 1929 DA(?) being parted out, I need some stuff for mine.

Dave)

3 hours ago, Dave Montgomery said:

Thanks Bob. The picture you posted... It looks to have the same big chunk of metal missing from the side as mine does. I mean exactly!!  Was that a common problem?

Thanks, Dave

(can't seem to get a pic loaded up and not sure which messages are going through. BTW, if you know anyone who has a 1929 DA(?) being parted out, I need some stuff for mine.

Dave)

If you would like, I can post the photo here if you send it to me.

John

keiser 31 @ charter .net (no spaces)

7 hours ago, Dave Montgomery said:

Thanks, Dave

Dave)

No, it's a 'leaveout' for the condenser contact......I don't have the car here to take another photo, but if you look close on the upper left you can see the condenser....maybe I have another photo too.

Bob, yes I understand that there is a notch for the condenser, mine just seems a great deal bigger, like it was knocked out. Regardless I will figure out a way to close it up (put condenser totally outside). The only good thing is that i can watch the points working when running!! Your Pinterest site is great. So below is the car I got for firewood. Whats most amazing is how well it runs- doesn't even smoke and I haven't put much new gas in from the last time it ran about 5 years ago. Tranny and rear end all good. Some rust but minimal. Main problem is I have no interior. Ok slight exaggeration... I have seats: front back, back back and maybe back bottom is not too gone. No interior panels. Most everything else is there. Theres a guy (on this forum I believe) who is parting out a 29 like mine. Wife says I need to sell something before I can buy more "stuff." She's right... darnit. BTW, what is this car? A DA, a Standard, an A, ??? Seen different names for it.

Thanks, DaveIMG_5517.thumb.JPG.1768ae3ecf46be63335d786a507a7c37.JPG

IMG_5519.JPG

Great car!...and for firewood no less!!! Yeah, that's a DA....I did see where a guy was parting out a 5 window coupe on eBay; maybe the same guy? This site, Myers Early Dodge, Dodge Brothers Club and Romar among others can help out w/ your car. If the car is running good it sounds like the distributor is working. The cast iron dist. I gave away had a larger cutout in it to allow for later points....maybe that's what happened to yours.....if it's cast iron you can have it welded in a little ...if pot metal maybe someone else can help out better than I w/ suggestions. My interior was pretty rotten from a leaky roof. On that pinterest board there are a number of photos that show upper portions and details for upholstery when you get to that....again, a number of people have DAs on this board. Good luck, looks like a great car!!! BTW, Myers has parts cars too if you want that cowl vent door.