Looking for help with ID

Guest bkford

Can someone direct me where I should go--I have two photos in my grandmother's things that would be cars in the mid to late twenties. I just need help with identifying them, for my Heritage Album. I posted one of the photos in a different sub-forum but have received no responses. I'll attach both photos here, but I may be in the wrong place. If so, sorry, just tell me what to do....

Thanks,

Barbara

post-66649-143138179172_thumb.jpg

post-66649-143138179176_thumb.jpg

Wow, this is great, to be able to get this information. My mother (born 1928-after these photos were taken) said she seems to remember her mother (pictured in the photos) referring to one of their cars as "the touring car." Does that make any sense for either of these two photos, or was that more likely just a family nickname for a car?

Wow, this is great, to be able to get this information. My mother (born 1928-after these photos were taken) said she seems to remember her mother (pictured in the photos) referring to one of their cars as "the touring car." Does that make any sense for either of these two photos, or was that more likely just a family nickname for a car?

Both cars are open four door cars which make them "touring" cars.

I'll be brave now and attach one more. This is the same family, but now the twins (my mother being one) have arrived, so this picture was taken probably around early 1929.

post-66649-14313817923_thumb.jpg

The last one definitely a '29 Chev. The body mouldings are different in '28. The left top picture is difficult because the people are blocking things that would help, but from what can be seen I think this is one solid Chev family! I think it is a 1918-19 Chev 490.

Terry

Thanks for that definite ID on the 1929 Chevy--yes, looks like my grandfather was definitely a Chevy man, and it also looks like he usually had a fairly late model (he was a land owner/cattle farmer in Stone County, Missouri/Carroll County, Arkansas). My mother (age 82) just sent me this story about this car that you've id'ed as 1929 Chevy:

"Your grandmother told this story: Our family was going somewhere when us twins were babies (probably our first summer) and they had a brand new baby buggy (we'd call it stroller, I guess) "for two", and even tho Mother told Daddy he should fasten it to the BACK bumper, he fastened it to the FRONT of the car. They hit a bad rut in the road, & the buggy came loose and of course they ran over it, & totaled it!!! Will men ever learn?!?!?!"

I'm just sayin'.......

I really do appreciate all the help with these cars...guess the jury is still out on the top left one; once I knew it was probably a Chevy, and knowing the birth date of the youngest one on the photo (1916), and it looks like she is about 3 or 4 in the photo, I found a picture of a 1917 Chevy that looks like it could be it? But then the 1920 looks almost the same to me. But then, what do I know--that's why I'm here.

Wow! You do like challenges, Barbara.;):):D. However, it looks like the other side of your family was into Chevs as well. From what can be seen, it looks to me to be a 29-30 Chev.

Terry

Guest bkford

Oh, rats! I was hoping for a Ford somewhere in there. With my last name being Ford, you might know my HUSBAND's side of the family are all Ford men. No, I mean REALLY Ford men (as in, they all verbally answer defensively, the commercials on TV for any brand other than Ford). Therefore, so are my son and his son. So, when I share this family information about MY side of the family (my mother's side AND my father's side) being Chevy folks, I'll have to do so with apologies to my entire Ford side of the family! You'd think they were actually RELATED to Henry. (I wish.)

Guest bkford

I do not believe the car (with my paternal grandfather and three children at the FRONT of the car) would be the same as any of the previous pictures. This most recent one is of my father's family, and the previous pictures have been of my mother's family.

Guest bkford

I will say, though, that I have my paternal grandmother's journal where she recorded this: "January 1925, we bought our first car, a Model T Ford." So, at ONE point he was a Ford man (maybe didn't like it, so bought a Chevy the next time???)

This photo had to have been taken more like late 1928, because the baby here was born June 1928, and the little girl has short sleeves, and it was in the midwest. So, probably fall of 1928. When did the 1929 Chevy come out?

Guest DeSoto Frank
Can someone direct me where I should go--I have two photos in my grandmother's things that would be cars in the mid to late twenties. I just need help with identifying them, for my Heritage Album. I posted one of the photos in a different sub-forum but have received no responses. I'll attach both photos here, but I may be in the wrong place. If so, sorry, just tell me what to do....

Thanks,

Barbara

I believe the car on the left is a 1922 or earlier Chevrolet "490", going by :

Five-lug demountable rims

Bowl headlamps with nickel rims

Hood latch

The other Chevrolet of that period was the larger ( and more expensive ) FB, which had six-lug demountable rims.