'41 overdrive governor wiring and tool KMO 608

imported_fordmerc

What is tool KMO 608 suggested to remove the governor? Is it basically a hex wrench of unique dimensions?

I have NOS Packard Part No.418710 (governor switch) offered as replacement part. It has 2 wires (Y and YwG) and all available photos of governor switches show 2 wires coming from them. My old unit (in situ) is covered with a rubber bonnet but seems to have only one wire connected to a BwR wire in the harness (consistent with wiring diagrams). If the NOS part is appropriate, can anyone tell me the proper connection of the 2 wires? If one is the ground, where does it attach?

Comments and advice appreciated

P.S. My overdrive doesn't work:governor seems to be the problem since there is no green indicator light on at any time, wiring is new and seems to be appropriately connected, solenoid could be the culprit, but at the moment I'm fixated on the governor switch.

Don't have a pict of KMO-608 but do have one for the later tool. Assume one you ask about similar, just different angle.

The governor with 2 wires was used on cars with electromatic clutch so the extra wire won't be used if you don't have that. Just coil and secure it out of way. The wire you need is the one on a flat terminal on the bakelite bottom. The unused one will be coming out of a sealed off area raised from the bottom and probably covered with a tar compound. Ground is a small bar or strip of metal that goes to one of the mounting screws that hold bakelite on. Governor would be a good place to start although broken wire or misadjusted kickdown or lockout also. Assume grounding the wire at governor and there is no action at all from relay? Can also ground at kickdown and lockout to eliminate those. Later units had a fuse near starter so assume yours too.

Do you have the OD manual? If not, here is a link to the later R9 but should be very similar to yours. http://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/EconoDriveTrainingBook.pdf

post-43944-143138062884_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

If anyone has a photo of the tool KMO 608 I'd really appreciate it. I've spent some time in the past 2 weeks under the Packard trying to adapt various tool patterns to the governor using the '51 tool, J4653, as a model. If no photo available, can someone describe how the earlier tool is constructed. So far, every model I've made fails for one reason for another. There isn't much room there for twisting and turning and since I'm not an engineer, my brain isn't solving the problem. Any additional help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Found this one but not as much detail as might be needed.

EDIT For some reason file doesn't appear to be showing so will post on a thread called governor tools for fordmerc at Packardinfo.com. If it's already out of recent topics list by time you check, do a search for governor tool.

Photo seen and reviewed. The problem must be me. While the photo seems to be applied to the governor while the transmission and OD are out of the car, I have tried to use a similar tool and failed. However, you have given me a couple of ideas to model another tool, so I'll post when it works. Thanks

IN reply to the post suggesting a strap wrench, there's not enough room to work in while the governor is in situ so a strap wrench might work when the unit is out of the car but not from below.

I will continue to work to a resolution because there's no way I'm going to take the unit out when all else works

Thanks again for assistance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HH56</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Found this one but not as much detail as might be needed.

EDIT For some reason file doesn't appear to be showing so will post on a thread called governor tools for fordmerc at Packardinfo.com. If it's already out of recent topics list by time you check, do a search for governor tool. </div></div>

HH,

Now I know why you posted the pic of the tool on PackardInfo, Ahhhhhh......

• 3 weeks later...

Finally: I made a tool and removed the governor from below. The tool looks like a 1 7/16" hex wrench, but...critical design elements are: a.)wrench can be only 3/16" thick, b.) sides of the wrench can be no thicker than 3/8", and c.)in the absence of the pictured angling of the wrench arm, the fill plug for the OD had to be removed to allow clearance and fit. The wrench I made was only 5 in long, so I had a hard time getting enough force/torque to break the threads loose ( I used a pipe wrench on the end at right angles to the wrench handle, parallel to the plane of rotation). The wrench head was also mounted at 75 degrees to the long axis of the handle; this may not be necessary. End result: governor removed, new switch installed, OD still doesn't engage!!!!I would attach a photo, but haven't figured how to do it. Thanks for help and photos.

Thanks for information on the tool.

Assuming bulb & socket good, have you got power at terminal 1 of the relay? If no, is there a fuse near starter or did your car get retrofitted with the later reverse lockout safety switch to prevent OD engaging?

If power there can you ground the relay terminal 5 & does the light come on? If yes, problem is before the relay in one of the switches or wiring between. If no, problem is relay, solenoid or wiring between the two.