Cloisonne Emblem Restoration

This is technical but also a restoration project. I have an emblem with three different colors, all color needing to be replaced. Is it possible to remove the old material at home? I would like to clean up my original emblem and have several duplicates made that I would like to share with other enthusiasts. I would then like to have the color reinstalled. What can I do with out ruining my original?

Regards, Alan

I'll check Mike Gausden's email address and pass it on to you for advice if you want to ask him. He comse down here and stays occasionaly, and we have discussed this with him, because my son is in process of making the Alfa Romeo radiator badge of 1920. (We made a three axis computer controlled mini- milling machine for this.)

As I understand from Mike, the worst part of this is cleaning the broken ceramic, for which you need one of the nastiest chemical entities that is known, hydrofluoric acid. (This is most used for making uranium hexafluoride).

It must be handled with strict attention to safety method, and preferably in a fume cupboard, because it dissolves flesh and bone; and any spill on your body not immediately neutralised and treated will kill you painfully.

Mike was trained as a goldsmith, (and interestingly one of the subjects of the course was Philosophy !!!). There are sources for the pigment powders, which he washes, dries, and seives. The different colours have different fusing temperatures, so the enamelling is a sequencial process, in order of temperature, doing the highest fusing point first. You can do it in a small improvised gas furnace which you can open slightly to observe the fusion of the ceramic. I believe he then does a smoothing and polishing step, then electroplates if necessary. I just want to be assured that we are set-up and disciplined to do this safely before we attempt it; but it is something that you can do for yourself at home.

If you want to discuss this with Mike by email or by phone over the internet send me a PM confirmation, and I'll get his email address when I get home tonight, Alan.

Ivan Saxton

Just my two cents, but nobody should be using Hydroflouric acid in a home or home garage. It takes training and the correct equipment to use this material safely. It will, with even small exposures, dissolve bones. And once the process has started, it is very very difficult to stop.

Even if you are a chemist and have a fume hood and all that, just having the stuff at home where accidents with children, pets, spouses, etc. can occur would make me think 5 or six times before taking the chance.

Tom

Guest 1928Packard526

Alan ——

Cleaning up the original part is the tough part. A dental burr on a Dremel tool might work as well as the more risky chemical path suggested above. I worked with HF in my career in microelectronics and it is scary stuff with even the best safety equipment. There is no other material that scares me more to use.

Try whatever alternatives you can think of to clean out that emblem and stay away from the HF.

Here is an outline of how I would approach your described problem. Obviously some experimentation is called fo,r but here are the steps.

Having cleared the emblem of old enamel, have quality duplicates cast of the metal portion. After cleaning up these castings satisfactorily have them plated, if necessary, and then fill the cavities with appropriately colored casting resin. These resins can be colored, trimmed, and polished to be indistinguishable from the original enamel. Because the resins are softer, care must be taken not to scratch them, but I don't think normal usage will mar them.

The resin I am talking about is that used to cover commercial bar and table tops with that deep clear coat we have all seen. That stuff is fairly hard and easy to use.

I have used it to cast replacement lenses for both my antique cars. One as "milk" glass for an interior light and the other as a replacement tail light lens. You can't tell they are plastic replacements unless you touch them and then only because a glass lens would feel cooler to the touch. Visually they appear perfect duplicates of the originals.

I have seen only one cloisonne badge done this way, but it looked great. I couldn't tell that colored plastic was used rather than enamel powder in the colored areas. This may make purists shudder, but it works well.

Pete P.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> nobody should be using Hydroflouric acid in a home or home garage. </div></div>

Just my 2 cents but roger the above. I Know a guy that got a drop on one of his cuticules, in work where first aid was available, and he was out of work for two weeks in terrible pain. Anyone comtemplating the amature use of it should do a Google search and read up. Hopefully it will change your mind........Bob

I am glad that people appreciate the total need for care and safty in storing and using HF. You must have total knowledge before you make your decision whether you do enamelling yourself or pay someone who does it safely. I can assure you that it is 50 years since my friend did his training as a goldsmith, having owned, repaired, and restored vey old cars all that while. (In the beginning they were common as low price everyday transport: In the 1950, if you knew where to go, you could see 20's Stutz, Vauxhall, Bentley, Isotta Fraschini, Austro Daimler, and even a Steyr and a second owner A model Duesenberg parked on the streets of Melbourne while their owners were at work. Plastic fill is quite recognisable, and I am sure your judges are quite capable of telling the difference. But that is a choice people can make: "In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king". It depends how authentic you want your restoration.

Alan asked if it was possible to do enamelling at home. It is; but not perhaps wise in every place and circumstance. I have put him in touch by email and phone with someone who is qualified and willing to share long first-hand knowledge and experience. It is his priviledge to use that as he wishes.

Ivan Saxton