gas lights

jim43

I have a pair of super nice gas lights. I figure they are European as they are marked "Frankonia" with a k instead of a c as our Franconia Notch is spelled. Four inch clear thin glass with bail handles and neat pierced designs in the chambers above the round lamps. I have watched for cars with similar lights for years, but I don't see that many old European cars so it isn't too surprising I havn't seen them. So I am calling on members for their thoughts.

Jim 43

1914 Chalmers Master Six model 24

1927 LaSalle phaeton

1937 LaSalle convertible sedan

Cute-been collecting lamps for a while and have a couple of Frankonia. Not sure where they were made but certainly across the pond. My guess is these were headlights and not cowl lights, and were intended for use on an early light weight car. The europeans were rather fond of those light smallish vehicles. Stuff like this tended to be generic. If you wanted lights on your car, you bought some and hung them on. I've got some early postcards that show cars with similar lamps and will dig thru them to see what I can find.

Looks like the reflector on the left one (above the $ bill) was chewed up around the edges. Must have been a pretty hungry mouse! Is there a neat story about how you found them, or what do you intend to do with them? Here is a similar unknown make lamp in my collection.

thanks,

Terry

post-30751-143137986877_thumb.jpg