restauration information

Guest jeff yul

Guest jeff yul

Hi I started restoring a buick McLaugin 1928

i save sevral questions

we are redoing the wood frame is it important to put flat head scrues like the original or can i use philips head?

i am hesitaiting about redoing originaly or modernise the drive train and the engine with more recent parts (1980)

all advice and opinions will be apreciate

jeff

jeff yul,

Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forum. The correct hardware should be available. If you were to ever have the car judged, it would receive a substantial point reduction for visible incorrect hardware. If you ever want to sell the car, its value would likely be reduced in the eyes of many potential buyers due to incorrect fasteners. I suggest you restore it as it was originally and you will be happy with your decision.

Guest bkazmer

i save sevral questions

we are redoing the wood frame is it important to put flat head scrues like the original or can i use philips head?

i am hesitaiting about redoing originaly or modernise the drive train and the engine with more recent parts (1980)

jeff

If you put in a 1980 drive train you can use nails and it won't matter as it will no longer have any value related to restoration quality since it will be a rod

Robertson screws were invented in Canada in 1907. I am surprised they were not used in your Buick, they were used in other twenties cars. Phillips screws were invented to get around Robertson's patents and were widely used by GM because they are cheaper even though they are not as good.

Keep the car original especially where screws can be seen.

Guest jeff yul

i save sevral questions

jeff

thank's to everybody for the info

il will look for the original scrues

and have the engine rebuilt

jeff