Plymouth Rear parking brakes

Guest JoeofColorado

Guest JoeofColorado

Need some help.

Can you tell me when Plymouth (Chrysler Corp.) changed over from a transmission parking brake to rear wheel parking brakes.

I replace my 1939 3 speed transmission to a newer manual 5 speed transmission and now need to know where to begin my search for rear wheel parking brakes.

My thinking is that some later parts can be retro fitted for a rear wheel hand brake.

As always, your input and help is greatly appreciated. You can also e-mail me directly at jpzz1@earthlink.net

Joe

Great job of engineering. You should have planed for this change from the start. Chrysler used transmission mounted parking brakes through at least 1961. Why don't you also adapt the transmission brake to your new transmission? Would save a lot of work and you have done a great job adapting the transmission to the engine.

I believe 1964 was the last year for the handbrake on the transmission. The Valiant and Dart had the conventional setup from the start.

In a case like yours the usual course of action is to replace the whole rear axle. This gives you a more modern setup, a handbrake, and a lower gear ratio. I believe Jeep SUVS have a suitable rear axle. Take a tape measure to the junkyard and do some shopping. In any case the spring mounts will have to be relocated. New ones are available from Summit Racing and other racing parts places.