Ultrasonic Cleaner recommendations?

AzBob

Hi all,

Recently purchased a small vibratory tumbler from Harbor Freight for cleaning small parts, Although it works quite well in removing rust, paint etc. It leaves tumbling media residue in fine crevices such as screw threads. Am thinking ultrasonic cleaner now. In addition, it seems one of these would be great for carburetor cleaning as well. Would welcome anyones experience and recommendations regarding the use and selection of one of these.

I've experienced mixed results with ultrasonic cleaners. I'm not convinced they're all that great. That said, I do use the cleaner from Harbor Freight (kept the $$ investment low) and use Simply Green and vinegar mix solution. hot solution yields better results.

I am a clock repair person and a member of the NAWCC. I have a 26 quart ultrasonic cleaner and although it does great for what I use it for, it doesn't do squat for rust and hard debris. if its just oil and grease its works great. And yes I have used it on a carb or two with mixed results.

Larry, was not aware of the "drum plating" process. Sounds like a great solution for small fastener parts etc. The general consensus appears to be that ultrasonics cleaners are great for removing oils and grease but iffy in regards to removing harder deposits. As with Friartuck, I will keep the investment low for now and give one a try.

edhd58, At 26 quarts, that is a quite a large ultrasonic cleaner! No doubt perfect for the larger clock movements. I am a NAWCC member as well. Our local regional (Arizona Sunshine) is this weekend.

Friartuck, why do you mix vinegar with the Simple Green? The pH of Simple Green is high because it is a strong base, like lye (sodium hydroxide) and various oven cleaners. Vinegar is acidic and will neutralize the cleaners in Simple Green. Acids won't cut grease but bases will. Simple Green, and other degreasers, should work better either straight or diluted with hot water only. Also, solutions of bases won't attack steel but acids will. Just go easy on the water-diluted Simple Green when cleaning aluminum parts because they will get etched.

I mix ammonia with my Simple Green. I do that because in the clock cleaning solutions the ammoniated cleaners will take most brass movements, remove anything on them and make them look new from the factory, regardless of their tarnish. 3 Gallons simple green 3 gallons water and 1 gallon ammonia will take just about everything I have tried all the way down to bare metal. Bob, that 26 quart cleaner is actually to big. I don't use it much any more, I have a smaller cleaner that gets used a lot.