ignition key

Guest cool wheels

Guest cool wheels

I have only one ignition key for my 1990 Reatta. The keymakers around here cannot help me because of the chip on the Reatta key. Is there a way I get a duplicate ignition key? Thanks for any advice.

Your best bet is a lock smith with walk in service. Any decent locksmith shop will have the GM VATS ignition keys and can make duplicates. Hardware stores generally do not stock the blank keyway for VATS equipped cars.

Barring that, a trip to a GM dealer parts dept is your next best bet as they will be able to make these keys as well.

Your only other option would be to buy a key blank off ebay (and you must know the value of the resistor chip in your key to get the correct one as there are 15 variatons) and then have a local shop cut it for you. Problem with this is that if they cut it wrong, you eat the cost of the key blank.

KDirk

Guest Mc_Reatta

Use the ohm meter in your DVM to measure the resistance across the VATS chip in your key. Use that value to find the correct key blank from a vendor on ebay and order. Take to any key maker and have them duplicate your key onto the blank.

Or go to a dealer or locksmith and have them make a duplicate for you. Much quicker but much more expensive.

Here's one such vendor :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-IGNITION-VATS-KEY-B62-P1-Buick-Cadillac-Chevrolet-Oldsmobile-Pontiac-VATS-1-/151507560019?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AReatta&hash=item23468de653&vxp=mtr

Ace stores vary widely in what they carry and pricing due to the nature of each location being an independent operation. If they have it and are reasonable, great. However, don't count on them having these keys at every location. The big one near me doesn't even stock non-VATS keys for the 88/89 Reatta ignition. Go figure.

KDirk