How to compress front spring to replace Strut and bearing

waltmail

Just did mine. No way would old standard coil spring tools do the job. Ended up taking them to an alignment shop where I paid to have them use their heavy duty pro wall mounted compression tool. Anyone know any secrets for doing these on the shop floor.

BTW I used Ronnie's write up. Very helpful.

Below are photos showing how I did it on my workbench with the strut mounted in a vice. You can rent or buy the spring compressor shown in the photos. Once you have the spring compressed just remove the large nut on the end of the strut rod and lift the spring off. Be sure to use a spring compressor that has safety pins to lock it in place on the spring and pull it down evenly on both sides to avoid slipping or binding. Not a hard job if you take your time.

post-52331-143142863638_thumb.jpg

post-52331-143142863631_thumb.jpg

great video.i already have the struts and bearings.i just need to rent a spring compressor.

Just a hint. Pay strict attention to how he offsets the compression clamps. One will be higher than the other. If you don't have one side on the top coil, and the 2nd clamp lower, it won't work since they won't be compressed enough to spin the nut over the bearing plate. Be careful. I have seen this operation go bad. Took a chunk out of a concrete wall in my buddy's shop. He thought it would be funny to toss the compressed spring to see what would happen.

Edited by waltmail (see edit history)

I'll second waltmail's advice, particularly with regard to safety. I did front struts on my 91 coupe in 2009 and almost cost me a knee when the spring (about 1/2 way to full compression) bowed and blew out of the compression clamp. I vowed not to do these again, and instead pay a shop to assemble the spring, strut and bearing plate. This is serious business, and if something goes wrong the outcome can be fatal.

KDirk

I would second any advice about safety but, if you use the compressors that I recommended, and I used myself, it will drastically reduce the possibility of it slipping off the spring. Notice the silver pins in the photo below. The head of the pin hooks over the spring coil to hold the compressor to the spring. The spiral split rings hold the pins in place.. If the pins are installed and adjusted properly the pin on both sides would have to break in order for the spring to get free. I felt it was secure enough if common sense is used but I wouldn't recommend tossing it around for fun as wailmail's buddy suggested.

41ZchN4qpQL.01_SL500_.jpg

Edited by Ronnie (see edit history)

BTW, the reason I didn't add instructions and photos for swapping the spring on the struts to the ROJ tutorial is because I knew there was a possibility that someone could get hurt. I would never want that. My comments here were posted in an effort to answer waltmails original question in this thread which was, "Anyone know any secrets for doing these on the shop floor."