1937 Dodge Coupe Body lean - springs question

Guest Rich in Tucson

Guest Rich in Tucson

I am new to working on a 1937 Dodge Coupe that was restored (appears to be off the frame) a few years ago but never driven much or sorted out mechanically; I have corrected a few mis-assembled components such as clutch linkage using an old Motors manual for guidance so far. It has a noticeable body lean to the right (passenger) side.

The rear springs contact the frame rails in the rear; I assume that the spring hangers are not supposed to be laying down (as they are) and are supposed to be more vertical in orientation (?). Are the spring hangers simply rotatable once loosened from the frame? The front hangers are more vertical. What prevents their rotation? I have not looked at body shimming issues closely yet because I want to clear up the springs issue. The springs are covered and may be new.

Thanks in advance for any help or links to other resources.

Rich in Tucson

By spring hanger do you mean spring shackle? If no then I am having trouble visualizing what you are talking about.

Assuming spring shackles "laying down" on the frame, the only way I can visualize that happening is if the distance from one spring eye to the other is wrong.

The front of the rear springs are in a fixed position, being bolted to a bracket which hangs down from the frame. The rear of the springs should simply float along a short arc controlled and dictated by the shackle two or three inches below the frame. If the rear of a rear spring is resting on the frame, there must be some broken leaves in the spring itself. Perhaps you can't see them because the spring is concealed in "gators", sheet metal coverings over the springs.

Guest Rich in Tucson

Thanks. More information: If I lift the car at a rear corner of the frame, the rear spring and shackle swing forward as weight is taken off of the rear axle. The shackle can swing to a more vertical position (where it appears it ought to be) moving the rear spring eye 2-3 inches below the frame. Can the shackle bolt to frame be tightened enough to keep the shackle in a vertical position? That is my interpretation for the use of the gauge fixtures that are described in the service manual for installing the springs. Or is some other part that would position the shackle missing?

Sounds like you also have the "silent-U" spring shackles: They must be able to swing and pivot. Actually, even if they aren't silent-U shackles they must be able to swing and pivot. So you can't just move it to a vertical position and tighten it.

Sounds to me like Hudsy Wudsy has the best guess: "there must be some broken leaves in the spring itself".

If you have the Silent-U shackles, they can get a bit rusted in the spring and/or spring perch but putting a big enough breaker bar on them usually gets the job done. Last time I had to get my springs off I did not have an impact wrench, but I've seen YouTube videos where that style shackle was trivially removed from some Dodge truck frames using that. So my advise would be to remove the spring and take it to a reputable local spring shop for repair.

Sounds like you also have the "silent-U" spring shackles: They must be able to swing and pivot. Actually, even if they aren't silent-U shackles they must be able to swing and pivot. So you can't just move it to a vertical position and tighten it.

Sounds to me like Hudsy Wudsy has the best guess: "there must be some broken leaves in the spring itself".

If you have the Silent-U shackles, they can get a bit rusted in the spring and/or spring perch but putting a big enough breaker bar on them usually gets the job done. Last time I had to get my springs off I did not have an impact wrench, but I've seen YouTube videos where that style shackle was trivially removed from some Dodge truck frames using that. So my advise would be to remove the spring and take it to a reputable local spring shop for repair.

If you do this do BOTH sides. In fact whatever you do, do both sides.