1923 Lexington

Guest minuteman

Guest minuteman

Hello

I have a 1923 Lexington 6Volt...I have replaced the coil and the condenser ,changed the oil.

I have power to the coil from the ignition switch.On the other side of the coil going to the distributor and points there is nothing.

Can anybody help me

Thanks Jack:(

Turn ignition off.

Rotate crank until points are well closed.

Turn on engine switch (do not leave it on long with points closed as that will eventually ruin the points).

Use a screwdriver to snap the points open.

Be prepared to holler "OWWW!

All kidding aside. Do NOT use a volt meter to measure the high voltage side of any coil unless you have the PROPER meter and KNOW how to use it. Even many meters with high numbers available on their scale sometimes can be blown up like a firecracker unless you have the proper probe (and again KNOW how to use it).

Run a spark plug type wire from the large "high voltage" connection on the coil to near a grounding point (engine head or bolt is usually good). Brace it or clamp it gently (vice grips can work well here, clamped onto good insulation only) holding the wire end less than a quarter inch (1/8 inch is better) from that bolt head or other grounding point.

Now, being careful to not short or ground the points directly (screwdriver end wrapped in electrical tape can help, or use a Popsicle stick), with the ignition on, pry open the points. You should be able to jump a pretty good BLUE spark from the end of the wire across the open to ground. This all takes place before the distributor which is likely in the same housing device as the points, however points action and high voltage distribution are two separate functions.

The next step would be to make sure that spark can find its way through the distributor to the each individual plugs.

At this point, you need to brace or clamp each of every spark plug wire to a similar visible ground (or wires connected to the plugs, with plugs out of the cylinders and chassis base of the plug well grounded.

Now a healthy starter might be nice, however, many antiques can be hand cranked. With switch on, rotate the crank about thirty rpm. Watch each and every wire or plug fire a nice blue to blue-white spark. If the spark is orange, the coil and/or the condenser is weak.

This was how we did it in the old days and on deserted roadsides to determine that the ignition is working properly.

It is also a good idea to do some of these checks in a dark garage (use a small flashlight to find things and set up, then lights out, and look for sparks jumping where they should not be.

And though it all, do be prepared to to holler "OWWWW!" High voltage can find its way around and bite you when you do not expect it. A word of caution. SOME people with heart or other serious health issues could be harmed (or even killed) by an ignition shock. Engine ignition is very high voltage, but extremely low current. MOST, MOST, MOST people will not be harmed by an accidental shock from automotive ignition. It may hurt like the Dickens for a couple seconds. You may get a bruise or cut on your arm from pulling it away too fast and hitting the radiator brace rod. Generally speaking, voltage does not kill you. Current (amps) kills you. Under the wrong circumstances, a 90 amp six volt car battery can kill a healthy man. I have been shocked dozens of time and for many reasons and circumstances. I have even grabbed spark plug wires on a running engine just to prove the point. Several times.

Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Sounds like your points are oxidized. Clean them and try again. Be sure that they are well grounded. The points act as a switch to excite the coil. If the points are clean, and you still have no spark, then you may have a faulty coil. Be sure all connections are clean. Also, I have seen points that are just plain junk and will not conduct. Photos of your system would also help. Does the system have a spark saver? These also will go bad. Could also be the wire is bad that goes to the distributor. Dandy Dave!

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)