Croft PH52 Hitch Assembly

intimeold

I have a Croft PH52 Hitch, made in Tacoma Washington

I am trying to figure out when they were prominent. Looking at the brackets/claw; I would seem to think a flat type bumper would have to be used. Thus maybe 1930's and some 1940's cars and trucks.

It is in great shape, no damage, twists, or bends.

Can anybody add a little history to this?

post-42843-143142719657_thumb.jpg

post-42843-143142719623_thumb.jpg

post-42843-143142719632_thumb.jpg

post-42843-143142719641_thumb.jpg

post-42843-143142719649_thumb.jpg

Could be a relic of the trailer boom of the lat 30s, that is what it looks like anyway. There are trailer collectors who go for that sort of thing. Maybe they can identify it from an old ad in a trailer magazine or something. You could try the Tin Can Tourists web site, there are others dedicated to restoring vintage trailers.

It seems surprising to me, that they would go to the trouble of making such an elaborate and strong hitch then hang it from the stock bumper, depending on the stock bumper brackets for strength.

Could be a relic of the trailer boom of the lat 30s, that is what it looks like anyway. There are trailer collectors who go for that sort of thing. Maybe they can identify it from an old ad in a trailer magazine or something. You could try the Tin Can Tourists web site, there are others dedicated to restoring vintage trailers.

It seems surprising to me, that they would go to the trouble of making such an elaborate and strong hitch then hang it from the stock bumper, depending on the stock bumper brackets for strength.

Great.

I will try to research it thru the trailer collectors.

My pics don't really show the detail in the castings of the claw/clamp assembly; quite a bit of detail there.

Your reference to the stock bumper brackets, is right on. My guess is that the early trailers or campers; are in a different time zone that the modern day, fully equipped, air conditioned, palaces we see going down the road today.

Thank you all for adding to this

intimeold