1949 Buick Super Ignition Switch Removal

Guest davidc1966

Guest davidc1966

Hi All: Just purchased a 1949 Buick Super and I need to remove the ignition switch to have a key made (last owner lost the keys). How would I do that? Also, in the mean time how would I bypass the switch to start the car?

Hi All: Just purchased a 1949 Buick Super and I need to remove the ignition switch to have a key made (last owner lost the keys). How would I do that? Also, in the mean time how would I bypass the switch to start the car?

Don't know about your '49, but one key does everything on my '50. If you don't have keys any way, you will need on for the glove box. I removed my glove box lock, had a key made for it and it works everything.

Bypass the switch by running a jumper from any thing hot to the coil.

Ben

Guest davidc1966

Thank you all for the great information and assistance. I walked out to the car this morning, opened the drivers door and without even thinking about it grabbed the door lock retainer clip and pulled on it once and the drivers door lock came loose and the lock was in my hand in less than a minute! Will drop the lock off at the locksmith Monday!

While I am thinking of it the car is in need of some new steel body mounts (in front of the rear fender wells and the two behind the front fender wells). Is there any replacement for them at this time? I was hoping that the 49 Chevy were the same but not sure... Also how would one get front passenger side door open. I can't open from inside or out.