Antique Radiator Emblems, Hood Ornaments, Hood Emblems

Hi all - just discovered the forum a few months ago, and have been lurking a lot ever since.

I have recently started a new father/son hobby collecting pre-1950s badges, ornaments, and emblems. I'm a bit tired of the waiting and monitoring Ebay stuff that comes up, so I thought I would just throw a line out here and see what someone here might have to offer.

Types of items we are looking for: original brass script, radiator badges, hood ornaments up to mid-fifties, hood emblems, etc. We are just getting started, so even common badges like the 20s Ford and Chevy emblems are welcome as we try and build our collection. We particularly like a lot of the antique automobiles, so anything with standalone aesthetic display value would also be considered.

We have a budget to get started, but we would like to focus on good quality and items in good condition. We have been monitoring Ebay, swap meets, and antique shows for a while on these type of items, and we are willing to pay a fair price based on recent sales. We may not be ready for your super-rare Piece Arrow or original Lalique ornament, but we are looking at all historic American car makes like Ford, Chevy, Pontiac, Packard, Studebaker, Dodge, Peerless, Willys, Chrsyler, etc., and especially any early makes.

Look forward to any submissions - please reply to the thread, or PM me.

Thanks!

Rob

Guest AlCapone

People are educated now a days to price and know what they are worth. Be prepared to dig deep into your pockets !

Wayne

Great way to get a collection going, my advice is to always wait for best condition on the more common emblems, and always buy the best you can afford on the tougher ones.....remember that one rare one is worth 10 common ones....mount some where you entertain guests in your house, and there will always good conversation...."hey, this Gogomobile emblem, what's the story?.".....

Thanks for the advice. Yes, I definitely see that some of the pricing gets up there. But then I have bought 1920s Chevy bowties in great shape for $30. I am willing to pay fair market value, and having done so much research, I think I'm pretty educated on pricing trends for a good number of emblems.

Yes, the more scarce emblems are good for conversation. I got sniped on a badge yesterday that very few people know about, but it happened to be for a builder that was based in my hometown. So it would have been a good conversation piece for the locals and family here.

Thanks again. My son is a car fanatic and got me hooked on this, so we are both looking forward to what may come up - that's part of the fun.

All for father/son hobbies, but wouldn't you feel bad if someone needed a emblem, that you were hoarding/collecting, to finish a restoration? :):)...or are these all reproduced and it's a moot point. Just curious as I haven't heard of this type of collecting as all of my cars are 60s. Thanks!

I prefer to think of it as "curating" and "preserving", not hoarding. Collecting is a good thing IMO, because it requires a deep appreciation and respect for the subject. I would be happy to see one of our badges on an original vehicle, and would sell some pieces for a fair price to someone who needed it. Ideally I would like to be a resource for these type of needs. But also keep in mind that many of these are not rare at all (Ford, Chevrolet, Buick, etc.).

That's funny you should ask for these?

I am in need of some more my projects and missing these on the grille shells.... been looking for awhile

1936 Chevy truck - Rad ornament

1936 Dodge truck - Rad ornament

1937 Dodge truck - Rad ornament