57 Buick Fuel

Guest Morgan57

Guest Morgan57

I wonder if the car needs an electric fuel pump to support the original fuel pump to maintain fuel pressure.

Fuel from carburettor seems to drain back once car has been left for a day!

If this is only when the engine has been run long enough to be hot, fully up to temp, then part of the problem is the fast evaporation rate that the modern fuel has.

The fuel in the float bowl will boil away, and the remaining evaporate away, leaving a dry carb. I'm experiencing this on many cars.

If you don't experience what appears to be 'drain-back' when you just start the engine, then shut it off, it's evaporation.

Think about the way a needle and seat work on the float in the carburetor, it's virtually impossible to have fuel be sucked back or drain back into the fuel lines and tank.

GLong

What GLong said. Install a rotary electric pump and use it to prime the carburetor, start the car then shut the pump off. Also make sure the diaphragm in the mechanical pump is compatible with modern gas.

Terry

I have several cars that do this. My easy fix is to simply loosen the wing nut on the air cleaner, there is usually a divot of sorts there, pour some gas in it and start the car. Rarely will I have to do this more than once.

Typically one would take the air cleaner off and do the prime but this saves me some time. I don't think much of electric fuel pumps but I know that they are sometimes necessary. I NEVER use starting fluid by the way.

Guest Morgan57

Thank you for the replies, have checked suggestions but still got problems.

we have to pour fuel in car by to get started, it splutters black out the exhaust and backfires. We get it to idle & warmed up then under slight acceleration it stalls.

even though it has the electric pump to prime it, a new fuel pump.

haven't been able to run it long enough to go to a diagnostic place so any other advice would be appreciated,