1955 roadmaster;type of gas and electric fuel pump ??

Guest j.w.

hello guys

i have a 1955 buick roadmaster,322 nailhead v-8,compression is 9:1

i have been getting conflicting info on type of gas to use ?? should i be using regular gas or premium gas ??

Also am thinking about converting to electric fuel pump to replace the existing dual fuel/vacuum pump already in car. does anyone have good comments about doing this ?? would electric fuel pump

make the car start easier ??

i would have a mechanic install,i am a a mechanical idiot !

thanks for your help

j.w.

You can install a good quality electric pump (I don't recommend solenoid pumps) near the fuel tank to prime the fuel system prior to starting. This fills the fuel system so you won't have to crank the engine to do it; & will help shorten starting time. It will also help eliminate vapor lock when driving in hot weather and/or high elevations. And, install a hidden switch so you don't have to run it all the time.

I run premium gas.

With the original type mechanical pump

I add marvel mystery oil to the fuel, about 4 ounces to a tank full. I believe the marvel mystery oil prevents vapor lock

If you don't have vapor lock you should keep doing what you are doing.

The old leaded premium of many years ago would be less prone to vapor lock since it was less volatile and burned slower to minimize detonation. Since ethanol is a major volatile component and contributor to vapor lock and is a cheap octane booster, the current premium gas is more likely to have the most ethanol of your usual 3 choices. Gasoline is a mixture of components of varying volatility, and even if you add 4 ounces of an essentially non volatile substance you still have nearly 20 gallons of that volatile mixture. Adding 'stuff' (diesel, kerosene, marvel) never worked for me other than making a stinky car. The only thing that has a chance of working is a pump near the tank pushing fuel since vapor lock is always on the suction side of a pump (and even that did not work on my last trip above an elevation of 5000 ft).

As far as octane use the lowest that will prevent detonation. Before ethanol, my 55's needed mid-grade...now there is no detonation even on the lowest octane gas.

If you don't have vapor lock you should keep doing what you are doing.

Willie

Edited by old-tank (see edit history)