Need help identifying possible car part - found some random metal junk

Guest doggonemess

Guest doggonemess

Greetings all,

This is kind of a weird question, but here goes. Can someone help identify this metal thing? I found it while digging around in a farmer's trash heap, probably from the 1950's or so. I'm a blacksmith, so random metal bits are very interesting to me. Someone on iforgeiron.com suggested that this might be part of a convertible top from a very old car. I checked on Google image search and found some parts that looked similar, but it could be anything. I figured that if someone was going to recognize it, they would be here.

I'm especially curious at to whether the metal is mild steel or wrought iron, which would be solved by finding out what year of car it came from. Before a certain time, anything like this would be wrought iron. It can't be cast iron, as it wouldn't bend and flex. I doubt it's mild steel, since it would have rusted into powder decades ago. UNLESS - it's not as old as I think, in which case, it's just worthless junk! It did have a tree growing through it, which is always a good sign for something being old.

See pics below, and thanks!

Jamie

post-101938-143142627356_thumb.jpg

post-101938-143142627347_thumb.jpg

post-101938-14314262735_thumb.jpg

post-101938-143142627352_thumb.jpg

post-101938-143142627354_thumb.jpg

Guest Bob Call

I believe that Rusty is pot on. This appears to be one side of a baby or doll buggy. The semi-circular portion at the bottom is the suspension spring and the part sticking out perpendicular ti the spring is the axle for the wheel.

I wish I was just a 1/4 as knowledgeable as Rusty.

Guest doggonemess
Even though it looks like a baby buggy from the description I thought it was bigger than it looks. Hard to tell without something in the photo for scale.

The longest flat part is almost two feet long. In the first picture there is a napkin holder that is about eight inches square.