Early Continental Engine ID and information needed

alsfarms

I was able to get permission from the owner of this project car that will allow me to post a couple of pictures of the engine to help identify. I think the engine is a Continental and probably about 35 hp. The car is a 1912 Gabriel and is a typical assembled automobile. Please take a look and help me determine which engine, HP and also bore and stroke. I desire to learn about the car before I consider a purchase.

attachment.php?attachmentid=257114&d=1404683203&thumb=1attachment.php?attachmentid=257115&d=1404683203&thumb=1

Alan

Your photos are too small... when I click on the thumbnail, the result is the same size. That said, what exactly are you asking? It looks like a Continental engine but aside from the knowledge that they were well made, there isn't much else to know. Its a brass car and, as such, you have to presume that NO replacement parts are available "off-the-shelf". It looks as if its in pretty good, and complete condition but without running it, or even dismantling it, its impossible to know what's going on inside the engine. The engine itself is probably the least of your worries... all engines can be fixed - its just a matter of time, money and skill. How are the wheel bearings? If original, they are probably bad (the cup-type ball bearings they used did not last). The same can be said for the transmission... again, it can be fixed if need be but its a specialized machine job. You can't take to the local transmission shop. It has a magneto... these will all fail eventually unless rebuilt. They were wonderful devices but the old varnish insulation doesn't last forever.

The most expensive items are probably paint and upholstery so its important to decide whether what is there suits your intended purpose.

I'm saying this from the point of view of a brass-car enthusiast. I much prefer them because they are straight-forward mechanical devices. There are no pot-metal parts and everything is quite basic and easily understood. But, unless you have machining skills (and equipment), or know someone who does, or can afford to pay someone who does this could rapidly become an expensive and discouraging project. Personally, I like it and would be tempted if it were in my neighborhood... if all you intend is to haul it around on a trailer to local shows, it may not need much. From what little we can see it looks to be an older "restoration" (i.e. paint and a clean-up) of a well preserved original car. I doubt that anyone who seriously works with brass cars even expects to know ahead of time what problems he will encounter.

Hello JV Puelo, Thanks for your well spoken words. I am also a Brass guy and enjoy these cars for what they are, unique and in the early stage of engineering. The body is a problem, on this car, as it is not correct. That can be dealt with, as you say, with time and money. I have had a few surprises when it comes to our hobby so I have asked the above question to simply learn more about a potential purchase before money trades hands. Not knowing the bore and stroke leaves you wondering what the output of the engine, which dictates what the cars performance will be. Comments, on other threads, suggest the bore is likely 4-1/4", but no one real familiar with early Continental engines can venture as to the stroke. Do you have any literature that will help?

Regards, Alan

Regarding stroke: Is it possible to remove a spark plug, insert a thin wooden, plastic, etc. dowel rod through the opening and measure the fall and rise points - while turning engine over?

Probably not. It looks like a side-valve engine. The spark plugs will be over the valves, not the piston.