Correct idle speed for a '30 Buick?

Dwight Romberger

Dwight,

I don't have a tachometer, so I just check the amp gauge to make sure it is just barely charging at idle with nothing other than the engine running. You should be able to follow one of the fan blades as it goes around.

Crude but effective....

I've been told that I was "crude but effective",

Mark did give good advice -

seat-of-the-pants tinkering worked just fine when our cars were new and mechanics didn't have computers...

Thanks Mark, Marty and Ken.

I adjusted the idle speed so that the motor didn't backfire when I accelerated, but it is way to fast.

This Rochester downdraft is not going as planned. It is still running too lean. I finally decided the float level was not high enough. Indeed, the gas level was very low when I opened the carb. It was barely touching the accelerator pump opening.

I also noticed there were two gaskets stacked between the top and bottom of the carb. In the process of removing one of the gaskets, I dumped the needle valve and ball on the floor. After two hours of hunting, I am convinced they fell into a different dimension.

My wife believes the car doesn't like me. As crazy as it sounds, I am starting to agree.

I ordered a ball and needle. I will let you know how try #36 works out. Or is it #37?

You WILL find the missing ball and needle as soon as the newly ordered ones are shipped.

In the meantime. use a piece of stocking over the suction end of your shop-vac and use it to poke around the edges of cabinets and tool boxes - works like a charm!

I'm sure you know, but each time you back off of the idle adjustment, make small corrections to the "lean-rich" mixture screw -- you will find that sweet spot.

good luck